Timing belt misaligned/not straight, any tips?

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Todd Motto, Jan 12, 2023.

1. Todd Motto Forum Member

Have picked up a recent BAM conversion and the previous owner did the timing belt on it - he’s an experienced mechanic so I trust his work however I took the cam cover off today to reveal a bit of a wonky cambelt not tracking straight.

I’ve cranked the engine a few times round manually via the cam pulley (the car currently has no battery and hasn’t been driven lately…)

I’d like some advice on what to do here, it seems to track straight until it passes the tensioner where it starts to come off ever so slightly. Cheers!

(P.S. yes that’s the servo half way out, I’m replacing it but need to jack the engine up to get it out!)

369DDF5A-28EA-4FD9-BE5C-82A363A6A110.jpeg 0DFED971-C447-49D2-B0A0-5AD8ECA09AAC.jpeg 11903F6C-14BD-4C56-9A36-98FED1EC1313.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I'd start by removing it, cleaning all the pulleys, cleaning behind where the tensioner sits, and fitting a new quality brand belt kit.

3. Todd Motto Forum Member

This one was replaced with a Gates kit by previous owner a while back / but the car’s never been driven. I guess your comment still stands though :-) I am a bit nervous to do a timing change on this engine!!

4. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

I'm with Tristan too - re do the job with a new belt and tensioner. Inspect pulleys too - perhaps one has some play in it or something? Also is the tensioner showing it is at the correct tension if it's an auto tensioner (normally there is an arrow that points to a marking) ?

5. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Looks like it's not run in a while ?