Tools- (pro) Clarke or Draper or Halfords

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by Lofty, Jul 4, 2004.

1. Lofty Forum Member

i'm getting a new socket set, torque wrench & breaker bar soon, cant deide betwen the the pro range of either clarke, draper or halfords.

The Halfords stuff looks the same as clarke but dearer and amate has warned me off Draper.

it so difficult to decide when there is so much conflicting advice! [:s]

bee looking on thenet and not had anywhere outstanding appear, thinking might just use machine mart

any help much appreciated

2. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

I'd go with none of them,
    I have got tools from all the above suppliers, NONE of them are poor qualitly, but for the same sort of money you could go to good motor factors, and have a look for the sealey (they are online) , there ok & summer offers on.

I don't know any others,around that sort of money, with out telling you to spend big money on Snap-On!

3. cordobabrendy Forum Member

i have a halfords ratchet set, no complaints after a lot of use except for the head coming a little looser than it was new, but then ive used it on my sump plug and having to kick it to open!!

4. dubleon Forum Member

maybe some britool? Not as expensive as snap o or mac tools but jolly good IMO

5. Dubya Forum Junkie

I have a Halfords socket set, and the quality is very good in my opinion.

I broke one of the extension bars, but the ratchet is holding up fine.

Another brand to look for is Elora. My dad bought one of their socket sets nigh on 40 years ago, and it is still going strong.

EDIT: Make sure you don't go too cheap on the torque wrench. If it is not accurate, then you may as well not bother at all!

EDIT 2!: Look here
    Edited by: V Dubya

6. Mikey Forum Member

I've got some Draper Expert tools & they're better than the cheap Draper versions. Most of my tools I've collected bit by bit from various car boot sales & off ebay etc, and I seem to have a good collection now.

Halfords professional seem to have good reviews for their socket sets, & you won't go far wrong with most of the German makes like Stahlwille or Gedore, or the British ones like Britool or Sykes Pickavant

Some of the makes I have are Snap On, Mac, Gedore, Sealey, Stahlwille, Britool and Laser. Best really to have a good feel for the quality & finish of them at the shop rather than buying them blind over the net

7. binliner Forum Member

I bought a Halfords pro socket set which ive had no probs with and if
    I do it has a lifetime guarantee ;)

8. Nelson Forum Member

I'd go for Teng everytime!

Draper have a nasty habit of breaking in my experience! Expert ones too. Halfords ones are OK though.

9. Lhasa2008 CGTI Regional Host

I've had a halford pro socket set for years, the rachets in the 1/4" rachet spanner stopped working and halfords replaced it without question.
    Halford have also replaced a few split sockets without question too. Top guarantee!

Don't let me put you off from what I've just said, they are good quality.
    Mine only needed replacing due to over use of a lump hammer :lol: ..don't ask..!

10. AxlFoley Forum Junkie

I personaly like halfords toolts, for the simple reason, that if you snap a spanner at 7:30 on a friday night, you can pop to halfordsand swap it for a new one, simple as that.

11. destructiv dave Forum Member

12. Jetta Forum Junkie

I got the large Haflods pro kit only problems I've has are bent allen keys and bent 3/8th drive allen keys oh and the U/J's are crap but then again every otherU/J I've has was crap.

That said I never cary the imperial sockets as when you open the box as they fall out all over the place

13. Claypole Forum Junkie

I've a Halfords Pro ratchet, socket rail, allen key type set of sockets and a breaker bar.

Can't fault them at all. When I need anything else I'll buy them again in future simply for the lack of hassle, walk in after work and buy what you need job done.

If I'd the money no doubt I'd get something more expensive but for average use (dismantled a full car with them) I'll stick with em. ;)

14. vw scottie Forum Member

I have a draper expert socket 1/2 and 3/8 set it`s good quality .it`s had plenty of stick and i`ve never had any problems with it

15. altern8 Forum Junkie

ive gone with halfords anything busts u just take it back [:D] life time garentee

16. hayesey Forum Junkie

A lot of mine are Halfords tools. I've heard they're made by Sykes Pickavant which are top quality.

I've never had any problems & like people say they have a lifetime guarantee.

Also, Halfords sell a lot of branded Sykes Pickavant as well.

I'd steer clear of Machine Mart Clarke stuff, some of their tools are seriously poor quality.

Teng are good as well.

17. Lofty Forum Member

went for this one in the end - seems good for my fairly occassional use and fit the bill nicely, paid 70 from Lawsons

[​IMG]

18. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I use Snap-on at work and Halfords at home. Quite impressed with the Halfords kit actually! 1/2 inch breaker bar is great for the money and I haven`t broken it yet! Think Facom make the halfords kit?

Still only go snap-on for the ratchets though "nothing even comes close" :lol:

19. AndyCEB Forum Junkie

My friend works for halfords, their tools are/where until recently made by teng. Its the same lifetime warrenty that Teng have, I think they either are using or are going to use a new supplier soon so newer halfords stuff may not be quite as good.

20. 4D1

4D1 New Member

Hi m8 Halford tools were not and have never been manufactured by Tengtools!!! Halfords used to supply Tengtools I.e people bought Tengtools from halfords, this came to an end some time ago, I would imagine because halfords wanted to create their own brand that conflicted with Tengtools.

Just wanted to clear that up