TSR 4-branch manifold

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Elijah, Jan 8, 2004.

1. chrismc Forum Junkie

Still something around 30 Tub, which is good considering how its driven.....35+ on a gentle run (rare ;) )

I totally agree that the 2L 16v conversion is a cheaper & ultimately more powerful solution & as ive said before in hindsight I might have gone down that route but....

A 2L 16v circa 150-165BHP will have to work very hard to get away from me on the road as I have all that torque dragging me along. This was proved recently when myself & a friend had a dice coming back from TSR. His car had just been tuned post TSR roller recalibration (2L 16v to 135ish atw ) with mine doing 122atw immediately afterwards.

On the way back the cars were equally matched. He had a bit more at the top with his extra RPM, but I had more low down & in the mid range so I could keep up in virtually all situations. :)

Despite the state of tune of my car its still perfectly tractable with power from 2000rpm..

It all boils down to driving style again. Its each to their own. Im now used to the linear torque of the 8v so a 16v 2L will still feel flatter low down to me...although it will be a bit better at the top end & sound nicer ;)

2. micky1 Forum Member

picked one up for a 16v last year.loads better than standard.sound really raspy,love it.

3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

what's the meatloaf song?

You took the words....... :lol:

4. nuttinnew Forum Member

Meat Loaf [8(] [xx(]

5. GTi69 Forum Member

Thats what i am doing, i just wish i had done it sooner before i had spent the money i have done on my 8v engine [:^(]

6. daviddd Forum Member

I have a mk2 valver and a digi and want to up one of them to 2L - and it seems evident that a 2L 16V conversion is definitely cheaper and is at least as good in general overall performanace as a 2L 8V.

The question is how much more bang can you get from your bucks spent on the valver conversion compared to what you would spend on a typical 8V conversion, and how would the two cars then compare in performance? [:s]

7. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Ok... lets look at it easily.

My 2.0 16v -- Standard MK3 engine --- 165-170bhp at fly (132 at wheels)

G60 PB --- Mk3 8v GTI engine, kent FR cam, flowed head --- 120-125 at fly (95 at wheels)

Barny.. cammed and flowed 2.0 16v --- 199.5 bhp at fly

Chris MC 2.0 8v --- heavier tuning than Barny --- 155.4BHP & 152.8lbs/ft

My old 8v was fast.. ask anyone that went in it.. but it wasn't a valver... you just can't match a 16v performance with an 8v.

8. daviddd Forum Member

OK, looks like a full third more bhp at the wheels with these valver conversions, but is that at similar conversion cost to the 8V conversions you mention tubthumped?

9. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

It depends how much you get the engine for..

10. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

G60 PB --- Mk3 8v GTI engine, kent FR cam, flowed head --- 120-125 at fly (95 at wheels)
    Quoting Tubthumped - That MKIII must have been gubbed - Mines was always 100BHP at the wheels as std and thats before I ever fiddled with it.. On a water dyno too!

11. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

I think his may need a setup.. but even a strong 2.0 8v isn't making equivilent valver power...

12. daviddd Forum Member

I'm only planning to get a new 16V bottom end (ABF etc.)and keep the KR as a starter.

13. Joe_G Forum Member

Have to agree with the 2.0 16v route, mine's making 165BHP/145LbFt @ Stealth with no mods (apart from KR inlet cam, but that's a no cost mod).

That's on standard kwik-fit exhaust, Mann paper air filter and everything else completely standard.

Engine cost me 250 all in after selling KR inlet to the US ...

Joe

14. Joe_G Forum Member

Have to conceed the 2.0 8v would make for a better day to day car with all that low down torque, lovely.

I bet Chris's is very nice to drive. :thumbup:

Only problem with the valver is it keeps tempting you to rev it and my license has enough points as it is [:^(]

Joe

15. JEZ

Jez Forum Member

In responce to your economy question tub, I would get around 350-380 to a tank when taking it easy and around 300 when driven hard. Having said that, it never made it to the track.

That was same spec as Chris', but with the 202 cam...still made a bit more power than chris' tho (132bhp @ wheels), but it was rr'd a couple of years ago.

Shame the car's dead, but the heart still lives :p

16. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

On TSR a few years ago?

When they were reading about 20bhp high...? :lol:

17. JEZ

Jez Forum Member

It was at tsr, so you're probably right tub :p

I took the engine as far as I could with the next step being t/bodies on a x-flow head. With that alone costing more than a complete 1.8t I couldn't justify it.

It was a very lively engine and would shame many modern cars, but all things come to an end. If I was to do it again, I'd go 20v not 16v ;)

18. chrismc Forum Junkie

My car did 130atw @ TSR before the rollers were re-callibrated (with only a Stage 1 head). This only equated to 135 @ the flywheel & 109atw at Stealth a week later! Most recently it was 122atw (re calibrated) & then 123atw at Stealth on Sunday.

Conclusion...Stealths/TSRs rollers give virtually identical wheel figures now!!

G60 PBs' car is obviously not well. He's missing about 15BHP at the wheels

19. chrismc Forum Junkie

Which do you mean?? A 2L 8V is NEVER realistically going to make 2L valver BHP..although it will out power a KR..there is no arguement here!!

The beauty is that it doesnt need to. The torque spread allows you to hang on to more powerful machinery [:D]

20. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Chris, how much torque does your 8v have at 3000rpm?

Looking at my latest plot, mine has 130 lb/ft at 3000rpm.
    lol- this is like top trumps :lol:
    Edited by: G_V_K