TSR 4-branch manifold

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Elijah, Jan 8, 2004.

1. fthaimike Forum Addict

140 for me [:$] (wait till the deisels come in)

2. fthaimike Forum Addict

I think the bhp chatter means nothing as mine's retarded & it's normally 130-5 atw & at the e1k tsr rr it was 112 yet when i took golfboy chris out in it he was impressed as it pulls like hell due to the torque being pulled down even further after my dizzy adjustment (until by diff & box replacment in march is done i aint touching the k-star for that bit of bhp back).

my 2p

3. chrismc Forum Junkie

Exactly the same Gary, then a steady climb to peak at 4800!!

It is a bit like TT isnt it?? [:^(]

I think Mike has hit the nail on the head with what he says above ;)

Im certainly not implying that my car or any other 8v is going to be a 2L 16v muncher, It never will be, but trying to make the point to Tub that it aint just about BHP [:D]

If I wanted to do that I could quote the E1K 2L 16v's @ TSR which (apart from Tubs ;) ) were barely making any more BHP @ the wheels than mine!!...

4. ianb Forum Member

ChrisMC

Your right about the torque..it makes a much more civilised relaxing drive and it will catch alot of valvers out being low down.
    Our MKIV has over 240lbs from 2000 rpm onwards on it's APR / Miltek combo. It's a late KO3 SPORT model.

My valver has a nice spread of torque but really flies above 4000 rpm but is a really hard work compared to the turbo.

Got the best of both worlds but in reality the MKIV is a nice quick family car that I could take on track but don't.

The valver is a nice road car with a split personality. On the boil the car is much quicker around the track than the MK4.
    On a motorway the 4 would out dragthe valver but thats what it's all about.

MK4 costs alot more than a 2 even a good 2 litre with cams.

2.1 TSR is a nice torquey unit...drove a Jetta they did a few years ago with that unit.

5. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Chris.. i know it's not just about BHP... i know enough about cars and more specifically how they drive on track and road to understand that.. but thats the basic point that someone was asking earlier in the thread.

6. chrismc Forum Junkie

Cool ;)

Ive driven a couple of 2L 16vs' & loved them, especially as a track car & will probably have one in the future.....

I guess the route ive taken with my car may have been expensive, but the end result, for an 8v, is a good & fresh bit of kit that is capable of upsetting lots of other cars...

I dont want this becoming some 16v versus 8v slanging match [:D] [:D]

They're both fun cars, which is the most important thing ;)

7. jc.. Forum Member

Are we going to measure cock size later!?!? Thought it was going down that route...

You should all know that its not about how big your engine is or BHP, its how willing you are to drive on the limit.
    I overtook and spanked a 1989 Porsche 911 my mate was driving whilst racing him round some backroads in Northumberland....I was in a 1.4 nova...the saloon version.
    He just wasn't willing to drive it the way it should be driven

8. vealige Forum Member

So in conclusion never under-estimate an 8v! :lol: Tiz true actually m8 has a slightly tuned VTR Saxo and that puts a lot of things to shame. Only has 117BHP, but he left our m8 in a 180BHP VTI civic for dead. :lol: Nothing like a good bit of torque. A 200BHP G60 must be pretty quick then i suppose, the strengths of an 8V plus forced induction! [:D]

9. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Nah, it's not getting to an 8 Vs. 16v slanging match.. go back to the old old forum to see who the biggest 8v spokesman was then <--- Me!

I went to 2.0 16v for a few reasons

1) Cost of getting an 8v to perform as well as a 16v
    2) The limted rev range of the 8v compared to the 16v (noticed only on track)
    3) The 16v suites the way i drive a lot more than the 8v.

10. ViCk Forum Member

The 16v is the better performance engine than the 8v, but then again the 20v is better than the 16v. Newer engines generally are improvements of the old. It's all about how much cash ur willing to throw at ur car.

11. chrismc Forum Junkie

Agreed :p ;)

12. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

13. fthaimike Forum Addict

Agreed as mine has cost a fortune to get it to perform the way it does

I do prefer a heavier tweeked / lower spec engine over a lower tweeked / higher spec engine which on paper the power looks the same but to me respond differently (you choose) if that makes any sense?

14. chrismc Forum Junkie

I know what you mean Mike, there is a lot of satisfaction in seeing the power & spec increase over time...& friends cars who would once leave you trailing now struggle to keep up..

Very satisfying ;) ...but very blo*dy expensive too [:^(]

15. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

I spent a good chunk of money on my 8v...

Looking forward to seeing what this valver does when it gets the same treatment. [:D]

16. chrismc Forum Junkie

IanBs' & Barnys outputs to aim for eh Tub...??

Get it spent, you know you want to!! [:D]

17. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Too many other bots to sort first.. but something up there would be nice.

Would like to see how they drive though... gonna take Ian up on his laps around Mallory offer.

18. matt d Forum Member

You're brave ;)

19. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Nah.. don't think he is likley to stab me anymore... :lol:

20. zoid Forum Member

Hey fthaimike saw a video clip of your 2.1L driver doing a power run at what looked like an old air field. I have to say I'm very impressed, it goes like the clappers and it's got loads of low down grunt, and you can really see the car squirming around trying to get all the power down, not to mention that it sounds awesome!! ;)

Here's a link to the file:
    Click Here

I'd really like to meet up with one of you guys running a 2l 8v as it's the route I'm considering. Im trying to do things the sensible way, just got all the parts together to upgrade the brakes to 256mm, once the brakes are sorted will be doing the suspension, and then I'll turn my attention to the engine, assuming I've got any money left! [:s]

Edited by: zoid