TT 225 Rallye?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by bully, Oct 23, 2003.

1. bully Forum Member

Your only 19. Bloody hell and i thought i was doing well to afford mine at 21.

What do you do for a living if you dont mind me asking chris?
    Im a computer techy, and am in the process of setting my own business up doing same thing. So 2 incomes really at the moment

2. prof Forum Addict

bully get an insurance quote first mate, be over 1500 for a 280bhp rallye at your age

3. bully Forum Member

is that all. I was paying 2000 last year on a standard rallye TPFT

4. Dub20vt Forum Member

Build helicopters! [:D]

as for insurance... mine cost me 1700FC this year... i do live in the middle of no where tho!

5. bully Forum Member

i also live in the middle of no where so should be about the same.
    Arent you the somerset regional host or something? i see you on the worcs forum sometimes

6. Dub20vt Forum Member

yep i'm the somerset CGTI host! [:D]

helps on insurance to! hehe

7. bully Forum Member

i bet it does. Hoping mine will be a bit cheaper as im 21 so another years no claims.

When mines all done, id like to meet up and compare results. Do you go to any of the Worcestershire meets? Ill be at all the shows aswell so you will be able to look at it.

Cant wait to get it on the strip either, see what it performs like.

What does yorus run Chris? 0-60 and 1/4 mile

8. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

I hate all of you!!!!

9. Rallye Forum Junkie

The OEM bosch system is the most advanced ems around, how many aftermarket ems run a knock sensor let alone two?

oh and 300+ bhp on oem? speak to nutter4x4 ( a designa dubs car)

10. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

Hmmm....

If you have any after market management system it will only be as good as the data you put into it I.E. how well you map the engine...
    Having spent the last 6 months refining my VR6T map it is clear that any power deliver/engine characteristic you want is possible this is not as achievable with the standard system.. ;)

11. 800gallons Forum Member

correct with a vr6 ecu above 10psi

doesnt apply to the 20vt ecu. we get 380lbft of torque at 1.1 bar on an OEM ecu.

golf boy chris is the closest to run OEM with motec, its one of the best aftermarket systems around

what system do you use? DTA?

u gotta remember fish and chips aint a pizza, no matter how much tomatoe sauce or cheese u add to it!
    Edited by: 800gallons

12. Admin Guest

u gotta remember fish and chips aint a pizza, no matter how much tomatoe sauce or cheese u add to it!

nice way of summing that up!!! ;)

13. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

OK...
    point taken.

When you think about it VAG have spent millons developing the best allround map to make their 20VT run like it does, if you and I spent loads of time setting up our engines on an engine dyno and then on the rolling road and finaly fine tuning it on the road in all types of weather conditions I would be very surprised if you couldn't match the OEM ecu setup. I currently would say that my P8PRO DTA ecu setup is coping well with any driving situation I have put it through. The only major issue I have had has been the boost blowing the spark out at above 5000 rpm, this has been sorted with a 20thou spark plug gap and increasing the coil on time.

I would say that the biggest issue with any ecu tuning is haveing the correct tools to monitor exactly what is happing with combustion at all stages of the engines running, acheive this and the rest is easy.. ;)

You cannot beat a good bit of 4 wheel spin at 120 mph + (in the wet)

Power is no good without control.. :p

14. Armour

Armour Forum Junkie

Bully, speak to John @ Bedrock Veedubs 01698 254666
    Their 20VT conversions are very tidy!

Alan

15. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

Could you not argue, that teh fact that VAG have invested those millions of pounds into there EMS, with all the extra sensors (two Knocks etc), using the standard chip set, with all teh right sensors just with a different map, is gonna be better than an after market ECU where its gonna have a relativally generic way of working so that the software can be used on Muliple engines?

I know That I would prefer OEM mangement on anything I build simply becasue of those extra sensors that will mean I can take it closer to teh limit safer than running aftermarket.

Having said that, if I had to run aftermarket, Motec is the only one I would use.

16. veedubber Forum Member

God how many OEM vs EMS debates are we going to have. This must be about the 35th one. If your not carefull Rob (Trendy Tramp) is going to post something that will baffle the hell out of all of us AGAIN;)

You have got to take into account, the majority of people with converted 20v power cars aren't looking for 'super dooper' levels of power.

Most are looking for 220-280bhp as that is enough, especially seeing most are only FWD.
    And at those levels it would make sense to go for something that suitable for you and your circumstances, be it OEM or EMS in my opinion

:-) Veedubber

17. prof Forum Addict

also speed of processing is another biggie

but as Steph says, emreald/DTA etc would be ok for moderate boost,as long as it's mapped well...eh! mart :o

but think about how much testing the VW ecu has had, and in 5 yrs when emerald/dta possibly arent here where will you get bits from if it's faulty, whereas with the vw stuff there is loads of it about, so you'll be able to still get em from breakers for ages

18. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

Well that's it then!! I am going back to triple Weber 50's, vacum advance and a choke cable... ;)

19. Rallye Forum Junkie

when dealing with a VR6T then its gunna have to be aftermarket as the stock ecu is NA

but for 20v id use (and am using) OEM

hopefully me and poppy can dispell the myth

20. veedubber Forum Member

but thers no myth to dispell really

:-) Veedubber