Turbo'd 1.3s

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by Hawkesybaby, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Hawkesybaby Forum Member

has anyone got the knowledge or knows anyone who has turbocharged a 1.3 mk1 or mk2 golf! And what is needed and the cost? :)

2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

I`d have thought that the expense and trouble would be to much for most given the relative `cheapness` of 1.8T nowadays.

3. Phil. Forum Junkie

I'd say someone's bound ot have done it although it's a rare conversion for a mk1 considering the choice of engines from the VAG stable you can slot in with relative ease instead of having to fabricate or source one-off parts like downpipes, turbo flanges, oil routes etc..

4. bens_cab Forum Junkie

the fact that its a rare conversion kinda makes it more interesting if you started with a g40block and head then had a manifold fabricated get a small turbo from somthing like a reno 5 turbo

you would also need to consider what sort of inlet manifold and engine managment you need along with a whole list of other bits

interesting tho

5. Hawkesybaby Forum Member

i want to do dummat a bit different! I als want the car as a second car, a weekend toy maybe and because im only 19 i cant afford to insure another 1.8T, i have a mk4 gti 1.8T and this hopefully will keep insurance cheap if i tell a few white lies along the way ;)

6. arienol Forum Member

To be honest dude you are going to get stung for insurance on any car which you turbocharge, regardless of whether it is a 1.3 or not. Why bother with a 1.3 when you can pick up something like a KR engine for bugger all?

7. sdj_mk3 Forum Member

Go with the 1.3 turbo, as you said it'd be different. I'm not very well up on the older smaller capacity engines, but looking around for VAG parts that will do the job from other cars is always a good start. Try G40 bits (intake manifold for example as this will have a good size plenum for forced induction already). a turbo manifold you'll have to make or get made up for you. Then try and find someone/company that has plenty of experience with turbo'd motors.

Don't expect it to be cheap though...

8. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

id love to do this to my mk1 driver, would make a great car, light, small engine at the front so good handling, plus nice and different. It would get expensive when it comes to the manifold and management.
    Let us know if this progresses ;)

9. gorilly Forum Member

i know someone who has a 1.3 GT engine from a polo gt in a mk1 golf...

10. gorilly Forum Member

11. Yoof Forum Member

Mr brother's Polo 'CL' Turbo ;)

http://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forum/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=11&

Hoping for around 200bhp once its had another mapping session...Comes on boost at 1800rpm, and full boost is available from 3.5k onwards- makes for a very drivable car, which makes a change from some of the 'suck and see' turbo conversion...[xx(]

12. DubLass Forum Member

Whats in your brothers CL then?

13. Yoof Forum Member

Click the link...

14. Hawkesybaby Forum Member

that is pretty helpfull actually! but what if i wanted to do it to a bog standard 1.3 engine? could it be done....?

15. Yoof Forum Member

Yes, but you'd be better to start from a forced induction basis, as it will work out cheaper in the long run.

You could pick up a g40 motor with a blown charger for 500ish, which would be ideal for your project.

16. amstrange1 Forum Member

The stock 1.3 AAV lump that was originally in my car was 9.5:1 compression ratio, the G40 bottom end I've got now is just over 9:1 - but with forged pistons a modified head, different cam etc. G40s are the easiest starting point, most of the bits are there in terms of engine management system etc.

17. Richard williams New Member

I know this is an old thread but I’m on the subject of turbo charging my 1.3 my engine in my mk2 golf, is there anyone who could help with that please