twin 40 carbs FUEL PUMP QUESTION?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by joey-gti, Jan 4, 2007.

1. joey-gti Forum Member

hi again
    still getting bits together for carb conversion on my mk1 clipper cabrio. does anyone know if the standard fuel pump is good enough to run twin 40 webers? have been told as my car is a 1.8 carb model that the pump i have is fine to use. i know twins need to run at 3.5 but i dont know what the stanndard pump puts out.
    thanks for any help given,
    joey

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  2. scottymk2 Forum Member

hi mate, no idea if your pump is good to use why not get a pressure gauge and find out?
    on my twin 40 conversion i bought a facet pump and sytec regulator.

3. benlg81 Forum Member

hi mate

loving the idea

i have a 1.8 mk2 driver with weber conversion but am interested in the twin carb idea, what parts are needed and if you dont mind me asking what are the costs like?

what sort of power are you expecting from it? have you had to strenghten the engne at all?

4. gillm

gillm ***** User

on my 16v on 40's im using a facet blue top pump running 3 psi . hope this helps

5. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

You'll need a Facet Silver Top pump, if it is a carb'd engine originally, and ideally a fuel pressure regulator.

6. joey-gti Forum Member

7. benlg81 Forum Member

Hi Joey

What carbs are you using? (how did you source them)

Is the manifold made to order or is it off the shelf

sorry for all the questions but it is just the thing i am after doing.

All updates and info would be great

Cheers and good luck

Ben

8. joey-gti Forum Member

Im using twin 40 dcoe's, i bought them used from this forum, came with the manifold which is an off the shelf item. the heat shield was made to measure, space on an 8v is tight, stickin them on is easy (lol) then they need setting up on a rolling road, will post some pics when i take some, just waitin on a few more items, hopin to get crackin next month.
    joey

9. benlg81 Forum Member

i like it so i just need to look out for some 40 dcoe's are there variants or an easy to find part? i will start scouring the net if you could posy pics of the carbs and manifold as and when that would be great, how did you make the heat shield do you have any measurements or specs?

Cheers for all your help

Ben

10. silverGTI New Member

Good luck with the conversion, I've just started collecting bits for a complete engine conversion in my Mk1 Jetta. Got Carbs, socks, adjustable fuel pressure regulator with small pressure gauge. Just need the linkage now. I have an 8v manifold, but I need a 16v one, will have the 8v one on ebay soon. (Oh and a donor car for the actual engine)
    Did you go for the single or twin cable set-up and do you know what the differences are? I'm guessing single is better because with one cable pulling the levers you can guarentee they are being pulled together....is that right??

Here's my carbs for ya
    [​IMG]

11. benlg81 Forum Member

lovely looking set up, do they have to be 40 dcoe's or will 45 be ok? you'll have to let me know when you are selling the manifold as mine is a 8v so would be well interested.

12. joey-gti Forum Member

i will take some pics tomorro as im geting her out of the garage to have a play tomorro. i got my dad to make the sheild from a template i gave him and i think he made a 2nd one that i might sell. have a look here tomorro and there should be some pics!!!
    joey.

13. benlg81 Forum Member

top work mate i will have a look tomorro, if you are selling one let me know i will be interested in that.

Cheers

Ben

14. joey-gti Forum Member

here are some pics for you all
    ive taken pics of the air ducting (had to move the rad over to fit it in)
    the custom heat shield
    and the carbs themselves
    just waiting for an auxillary venturi and then its go go go!!!
    i also found out that the standard carb fuel pump runs at 2.8 - 3.6 psi and twin 40's run at 3.5.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. benlg81 Forum Member

lovely looking set up thats some ducting for the cold air (ive seen factories with smaller air pipes!)
    started the hunt for parts got my eye on some 40 dcoes on ebay and a manifold as well

so do i just need: throttle linkage + cable, 30mm trumpets + socks

is the standard 1.8 driver pump up to the job then?

looking forward to this any idea what sort of power gains are expected?

if you can think of anything else for the shopping list let me know

Cheers

Ben

16. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

pmsl:lol: :lol:

17. benlg81 Forum Member

pmsl? sorry mate cant work it out

18. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Unless you get a pair of carbs already on a manifold you'll also need some Misab plates (4x alloy plates with rubber "o" rings either side to seal the carbs against the manifold) & 16 cups + 8 rubber washers that bolt the carbs to the manifold and allow them to move.

The standard pump "maybe" ok, but "maybe's" are how engines melt down !... use an electric Facet pump (the torpedo type) and an adjustable fuel regulator/filter (filter king) and set to 3.5 psi.

Power wise, around on 6hp on a standard engine, "maybe" a touch more.

19. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

You may find you need to file a flat on that boss at the bottom of the carb to allow the throttle linkage to pass by, or you may not get full throttle.

20. joey-gti Forum Member

file a flat on that boss? could you explain that a bit more as i dont get that bit.. and if i use my standard pump are you saying itl cause me some probs? cheers. joey.