twin 40 carbs FUEL PUMP QUESTION?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by joey-gti, Jan 4, 2007.

1. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

In yr pic above, follow the link-rod down, see the boss on the side of the right-hand carb next to the lower rod end... well that may rub against the lump on the carb when opening the throttle. Make sure there is plenty of room for it to move up and down without touching or jamming against the carb.

Personally, if the spec for the fuel pump ranges from 2.8-3.6psi then thats a bit too inconsistant. If the fuel pressure drops below 3 psi under high rpm/load then you can run the risk of a lean-down. You really should'nt use less then 3psi, 3.5 is better. You should also use a decent regulator/filter assembly, a "filter king" will do an exellent job of both, along with a Facet "silver top" torpedo type pump.

By the way... nice heat shield.

2. joey-gti Forum Member

Ive had a look and nothing seems to catch on the linkage. as for the heat shield i might make some more + put them on the bay, made to measure on my setup, should fit any 1.8 8v even if the manifold is a different make the carbs should b the same distance apart right? and can you recommend where i can get pump + regulater at a good price? cheers

3. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Speak to these people... http://www.fuelsystem.co.uk/

They're the main suppliers, I used to deal with them a few years back, quite helpful.

Ah thats ok then if nothing touches. Mine required a bit of filing to clear thats all, 40's obviously clear better than 48's.

Yeah spacing should be the same on 40's on most manifold's, especially as most of the manifolds are Mangoletsi's.

4. gillm

gillm ***** User

the above website are ace i used them a few months back and were very helpful . quick postage too

5. gillm

gillm ***** User

6. joey-gti Forum Member

Just picked up a redtop pump + 2 regulators for 30 off the bay!

7. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Good call... :thumbup:

You certainly wont have any fuel supply problems now !

8. joey-gti Forum Member

are red top pumps easy to wire up? as its a 1.8 carb engine my pump is located at the front of the engine and the fuel line runs through a rezzy before reachin the carb, havnt looked into it yet so havnt a clue about the electrical side of wiring it?

9. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

I just used the wiring from the old K-jet pump and mounted mine in the same place, though that info is'nt much use to you is it...[8-}]

It should go near the rear of the car though, its a pusher type pump, with the regulator in the engine bay.

10. joey-gti Forum Member

i thought the pump for the carbed engined cars was bolted to the front of the engine and had no electrics?

11. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Tis indeed, but mine's a GTi originaly so had the standard pump mounted at the rear, near the beam. I just used the original power from that for the facet pump.

12. joey-gti Forum Member

Ive looked at my car and ive worked out how im going to plumb the new pump to the fuel line, regulator + carbs, im unclear on wiring it tho, do i just take a feed from something else in the engine bay? thanks to all for all the advice!

13. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

it might be possible to wire it up to the fuse box and use a relay as per a gti on the ignition or alternatively a aircraft style on/off switch would do. but i think if it was wired to the ignition it would be a better idea incase you forget to switch it off saftey wise. you will need to make a bracket to fit it under the rear of the car too

14. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

I think it just needs an earth and a switchable live (as above) off the ignition circuit.

15. joey-gti Forum Member

does it need to b mounted under the car? i had a spot in the engine bay in mind, surly thers no difference as i have no pump under the car anyway?

16. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Allegedly, a competition engine benefits from having the pump mounted at the rear near the tank to reduce vapour lock that maybe caused by the pump being at the front and sucking the fuel rather that at the rear and pushing.

I've always mounted mine at the rear for that reason.

17. joey-gti Forum Member

so whats vapour lock then, and mines not a competition car.

18. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Vapour lock is basicly air in the system. As your fuel demands wont be so high as a competition engine (both in terms of power and rpm) you could probably get away with it mounted in the engine bay.

19. joey-gti Forum Member

when i take the old carb off to put the webers on im goin to have a wire from the manifold preheater goin spare, this i think runs from the same relay that a fuel pump would on a gti, would this be ok to wire up the red top pump? cheers, joey.

20. joey-gti Forum Member

oh, and if any1's interested ive made a 2nd heatshield (exactly the same as the 1 in the pics) if your interested in buyin it pm me, after 25 for it, joey.