Unsure Golf owner Questions here..

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Gazza96MK2GOLF, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Gazza96MK2GOLF New Member

I currently own a Barn find VW GOLF MK2 AUTOMATIC SYNCRO TOUR EDITION 1.8 petrol, and I have a few questions since I am not well equipped with mechanical answers.

I am already changing the carb to a webber along with a knN filter bolted on top to help with the running which has set me back 400 quid. But Im wanting to raise the BHP by quite a bit and performance, so my idea is 'Can you put a MK2 GTI 1.8 head on my automatic 1.8 mk2 golf? Is it a straight swap over? And is there any other way to increase the BHP?

Help me out petrol heads.. Cheearz!

2. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Not sure swooping heads is worth it ?
    Camshaft swoop Thor should help

Gazza96MK2GOLF likes this.
  3. Gazza96MK2GOLF New Member

Yeah I was thinking that myself, just don't want to get too crazy since it's a automatic ha ha

4. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

the problem you will have is the auto box, I had a driver auto, which I fiddled around with, trying to get more power out of just for a bit of fun. the auto box wont like too much power and I found that due to the change / shift points of the box it was shifting as the engine was starting to make its power. So, whatever you do, aim for lower revving more torquey mods but its not going to be a great performer, and will probably be horrendous on fuel.

the auto really isn't your friend if you want to go quick. you could manual swap it, its not difficult, that what I did to mine.

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you certainly can, just as said is it really worth it for the couple exptra bhp it gives. gti cam and a kjet gti dizzy will pep it up quite nicely, then if later on you want that bit more you can think about a head. personally I wouldnt bother, but look at engine swap instead. if you have to stick with the auto box look at 2.0 8v conversion, put a mk2 gti head on that and you have a really nice boost in torque as well as a bit more bhp. the 2.0 8v was one of the best things I ever did to mine, only the abf tops it.