***update*** think i've cured it!!

Discussion in 'Engines' started by ThE_gOg, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Aphex Forum Junkie

The good old days when the fog machine wasn't so fast..

2. ThE_gOg Forum Member

well just ran it for 20 mins at 2k at the smoke is still coming out and if i rev comes out in big plumes. it is now turning a grey colour and going darker by the minute:(

only thing i can think of now is that the oil control rings have gone or are stuck.

its definately not overfueling as it was exactly the same before i took the head off last time, then when i did the pistons, head and exhaust manifold were covered in thick black sludge.

pretty peed off now tbh, i didn't think it'd take me this long to do, and then for it not to work its a bit of a kick in the gonads!!

think i should of just gone down the 16v route to begine with if i'm honest.

cheers for the replies guys

Chris:(

3. ThE_gOg Forum Member

and now there seems to be a rattle when i give it throttle and again when i lay off, i think this block is fubbarred

4. SplatterHaus Forum Addict

Man feel gutted for you. Thats like the worst thing when you put some effort into doing somthing and its not playing ball.

Lol @ Aphex

5. mookie Forum Member

Don't let the car win. Keep on at it and don't give up, you'll feel brilliant when it runs right.

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

Take the exhaust manifold off and see if any more is coming out of the head, before you decide take the engine apart again.

It could still be crap in the exhaust.

7. ThE_gOg Forum Member

just started it to get it out of work and it now doesn't seem to be smoking as bad, hardly noticeable on tickover but there is definately a bit when i rev it hard.

tbh though i think i'm looking for problems now, and can't remember how much smoke came out before hand???

i set the timing up properly as i'd forked out on a decent timing light (it was way off), and took it for a spin on a private road we have at work and it flies, it keeps pulling all the way to i'm not sure yet i keep changing gear!

when i fitted the exhaust i missed out spacer peice so that just after the downpipe it isn't sealing properly at all, i was going to sort but was at at the end of a very long list
    , could this be adding to the white smoke coming out of the rear, by drawing the cold external air in like a venturi effect??

also if the timing was way out would this do anything to give me those symptons??

i would just whip the manifold off and take a look Mike but my car is pretty low and my jack has now given up the ghost on me.

cheers guys

Chris :)

8. wcrado Forum Member

timing out will make it run like crap. Could produce white smoke i guess, but i've never had a car running that far out of time for that long tbh, you can usually get it reasonably close by ear whenever i've mucked about with it.

exhaust won't help, btw.

don't suppose whipping your spark plugs out and checking their condition would help you find out if there is something drastically wrong?

9. ThE_gOg Forum Member

i've had them out and they all look the same, a bit blacked up but nothing major.

Chris

10. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

I suspect it is just left over gunk in the exhaust, if it's soaked into the fibreglass it could take ages to come out. 20 mins at 2k wouldn't be long enough to burn off all the crap right the way to the back box.....

11. ThE_gOg Forum Member

how long do you reckon mate?? is it worth me taking it out on a long run?? keeping my aa card at the ready of course:lol:

Chris

12. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

I would - bring a gallon of water and some oil just in case, and drive it hard for an hour or so, keeping an eye on the temps. Last time my valver spat a huge load of oil into the exhaust it was probably 30, 40 miles of driving before it totally cleared up.

13. ThE_gOg Forum Member

took it about a mile and the smoke was getting really bad, especially on gear cahnges. managed to limp home with it getting worse by the min.

rip that engine, i'm going to take the car off the road for the winter and do a 16v conversion slow time. so i need a cheapish run around for the winter months.

cheers for all the help and advice guys, it just wasn't meant to be i think.

out of interest, when i finally get this engine out, if i strip it down and remove the pistons, if it was the oil control rings would it be obvious by looking at them?? as i want to know for sure what was wrong.

cheers

Chris

14. Mike_H Forum Addict

If it's the oil control rings, your exhaust ports/manifold/downpipe will be full of oily crap... take the manifold off before you give up.

If it was just the oil already in the exhaust, then there shouldn't be any new oil in the manifold.

15. simonhill Forum Member

I changed an engine in a Civic Type R - it took about 50 miles of hammer until it had burnt off the oil and water from the exhaust fibre glass. You need to get the whole exhaust system really really hot to clear it!
    If you think the engine is already knackered - then give it a good thrashing - nothing to loose!!

16. wcrado Forum Member

here here! if its knackered, it's knackered. wait for the problem to fully manifest itself. drive it around for a bit and see what happens, nothing to lose if you think the block is shagged. Are there any decent mechanics around you? i'm not questioning your mechanical skills in any way, but sometimes it just takes a fresh pair of eyes to see whats going on. when you get that ticked off with a project when it's playing up, you sometimes can't see the wood for the trees, as it were.

I've got a little garage near me with a wizard old boy of a mechanic in it, it's not the busiest place in the world, just keeps itself ticking over by doing m.o.t's and whatnot, so he's always got time to have a look at my car whenever i've had it apart and it starts playing up.

is it still driving nicely?

17. mk28vICED Forum Member

chap im well gutted for you if it is the block!
    you've done everything else right is seems...
    i dont know jack about oil rings, so cant help..
    looks like some good advice has been given though.
    good luck sorting it!

18. Phil. Forum Junkie

Nightmare mate, I've been following everyones 2.0 8v convos for a while now as I 'm still collecting bits and you've had your snags along the way but I was sure you'd get there.

How is the block for flatness btw? Do you think it could need decked by a few thou?

19. wcrado Forum Member

update please! crossing fingers for ya bro;)

20. ThE_gOg Forum Member

lol, sorry guys i've been having a bit of a cry in the bottom of the shower feeling sorry for myself:lol:

i needed a car to get myself on a course away from home for work for 6 weeks, so i,ve bought myself another car a mk2 gti 16v, i'm taking my mk1 off the road for the winter and i'm going to work on it slow time.

in the end because i had all these time constraints on me the project started to become a chore mor e than an enjoyable experience, so now i'll be able to do as much or as little as makes me happy with no stress (lol ye right!).

so i don't know what to do really, i'm obviously getting the engine out, and i want to strip it down pistons and all to see if i can find whats wrong, just for my own sanity!! but after that, i would really like to do the 16v conversion, but if i find out whats obviously wrong with the 3a etc and can repair i might just stick that back in.

i've promised the missis the mk2 will get left alone and no extra cash spent on it, i did have a sneaky read through toyotec's abf guide tho[}:)]

cheers guys

Chris