***update*** think i've cured it!!

Discussion in 'Engines' started by ThE_gOg, Aug 29, 2007.

1. ThE_gOg Forum Member

ok mate thanks for the info:)

i've got the crankcase breather blanked up with the wur attached on the blank, its breathing through the top of the rocker cover as its mk1 k-jet

so do you reckon its not smoking from being overfilled and chucking it out of the breather??

will drain and measure what left in there tomorrow then.

maybe i should just buy the agg block as a spare anyway

cheers again for the help guys i'd be lost without it

Chris:)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  2. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

The smoke could be from it chucking it out the breather, but I doubt the breather is actually blocked - as that tends to not smoke, then bang it all out in one go. Unless it's both overfilled AND the breather is blocked, pushing oil past the rings.
    Try the oil thing first, give it a good hot run to lose what oil is inevitably going to be in the exhaust (or run it on the downpipe as Mike suggested), then see what happens...

3. ThE_gOg Forum Member

ok mate will do:)

4. ThE_gOg Forum Member

right i'm pretty sure i've found out what was wrong[:$]

on top of the cam there is a plastic cover/baffle that sits just on top of the cam caps the the rocker cover goes on top.

well basically i didn't fit it, i found it in my box of bits and started thinking[:s] i only sussed it out when you guys said about the breather etc.

looking at it now the breather connection and one of the cam lobes they pretty much dircetly line up. so its been throwing it up the breather as there hasn't been any obstruction due to the baffle peice being in place.

i imagine this is why it wasn't smoking when i was caning it as the oil didn't have time to collect on the lobes, whereas when its at low revs on tick over the oil would have more time to collect the get chucked up the pipe, giving me intermittent smoking[:s]

i've cleaned the metering head plate of oil and had a half hour blat and it hasn't smoked at all since the baffle has been fitted under the rocker[:D]

suffice to say i'm slightly embarrassed[:$]

just need to get the timing set up properly as its pinking when gunning it, fit the exhaust properly as it sounds like a tractor and get the idle sorted.

5. ThE_gOg Forum Member

also i've been offered a metering head off a 1600 gti but the guy wants near enough 100 quid for it.

sounds like alot of money to me??

Chris

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

That bit of plastic is meant to stop the engine from chucking oil down the breather. Glad you got it fixed - we all make the odd mistake!

I wouldn't pay 100 for a metering head, or anything near that.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think a 16v one would fit, and supply the extra fuel you'd want. Before you buy any though, check the part number on the side - no sense in buying it if it's the same.

7. ThE_gOg Forum Member

thanks mike for all your help mate, i would of probably removed the engine if i hadn't had such good advice.

cheers

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

No worries... it was you who fixed it in the end... so buy yourself a pint ;)