upvc doors & frames for outbuilding

Discussion in 'Garages, workshops & DIY' started by Mikey, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Mikey Forum Member

Ive got an stone outbuilding/shed that will need a couple of exterior doors in the near future as the old wooden doors & frames are basically rotten
    Ive measured to the outside of the existing frames & one is 2010 x 825mm & the other is 1935 x 770mm

Would I be able to get some upvc doors & frames to fit these apertures? I think the chances of finding similar sizes on ebay or gumtree for 2nd hand ones is a bit remote.

I was hoping to do it quite cheaply as the outbuilding is just used to store some garden tools & a few car bits, but it would be good to get a watertight & maintenance free solution. Im assuming that getting a carpenter in to make the doors & frames would be quite costly anyway

I was thinking of ringing around a few local firms to see if they had any odd sized or incorrectly measured doors that they wanted to dispose of, or are there any firms that anyone can recommend?

2. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I think you would find some on e-bay, I got one for my door opening. You could always buy a smaller one and reduce the opening with wood.

3. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Hello, as 1990 will testify I've just started my own door business... I can check on some prices for you if you want but be aware it's not gonna be as cheep as you probably want it to be. I've fitted a new PVC door today similar in size to the first set of measurements and with the VAT the door was over 700.00 plus fitting and sundries... Drop me a PM if your interested, I have some steel that might also be an option.

Phil

4. WillG

WillG Forum Member

I would put those sizes into ebay with pvc infront and save the searches and keep checking every week if you aren't that desperate for them.

5. Dox! Forum Member

You could contact your local window suppliers and see what miss measured frames they have around the back

6. Mikey Forum Member

Yes Ill keep on searching ebay, and Ill ring the local suppliers too & see what they have

Ive been offered a door & frame which is 1890 x 690 (for the smaller opening of 1935 x 770mm) leaving me 45mm on the height & 80mm on the width to play with, which I think would be ok?
    Just need to find out if Id get away with fitting it into the back of a Mk3 Golf (with the hatch partially open!) as its about 2hrs away[:D]

Vinnie likes this.