Vag tacho for coding keys

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by tshirt2k, Jul 31, 2009.

1. m1keh Forum Member

Tried all the different options that I can see in the vag-tacho options.

Not heard of that, where do I find get pin?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  2. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

theres two codes the PIN number in the immobliser, and the SKC which is the 7 digi pin which should be used same day

TBH only ever used the 4 pin, and that was twice
    rest of keys I've code has been using the VW machine the correct dealer way!

3. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I meant "read pin".

At the top of the window is usb k line Connected?

You have to connect to selcted ECU. It should come up if found. and the buttons should become active.

Then you can select "read pin"

4. m1keh Forum Member

Hmmm have tried again and it says no 12v Suply from OBD. But it when I choose immo1 seat/vw it will read the immo box part number and VIN off. The Read Pin button comes up and from there it says error or access denied.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  5. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

You sometimes have to keep pressing read pin up to ten times. But the 12v thing dont seem right

6. m1keh Forum Member

Ok thanks, yeah the 12v thing doesnt seem right to me either. I'll pull it apart and have a look at the soldering. As I'm 99% sure im getting 12v at the obd in the car anyway.

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if the led comes on the cable has 12v, it could be your immob box is damaged. i have one where i can get the code fine, but it wont match with any ecu. sometimes the serial number comes up corrupt in vag-com too

8. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

my lead doesn't have an led. My vag com led does though

9. rubjonny

oh? mine does. tight chinky manufacturers :lol:

10. m1keh Forum Member

Yeah, my LED lights up and i've multimeted the obd port, Definitely getting battery voltage to it. Checked the soldering on the board and it all seems ok too. So I'm at a loss on this really. Glad I don't need my skc at the moment but it would be nice to have it if I ever do.

11. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

System requirements?

Hi,

I'd like to try this coding method - I've a 2.0 8v, with access to two 'sets' of coded components. The ones that came with the car, and another from a 2.0 8v convertible. Both engine codes 'AGG', both engine ecu's same part #. Each only has one key. The ones from the convertible do work, and i'd like to either get a second 'laser' type key or change the steering lock for another with two keys and match them to the immo/ecu.

The steering lock is from a Polo, and i have the immo. box to go with it, but the engine certainly wasn't a 2-litre. I couldn't swear to the reg. or VIN number.

I get the feeling that the local (and maybe any) dealer might be awkward about coding the components if they're obviously from a different car (as a laser type in a non-convertible will be). I know the registration and VIN number of the convertible, but it's a category B so the V5 is a no-go area.

If the routine worked, I'd also attempt it with a Tdi engine.

What are the system requirements for a laptop or PC to run the Vag-Tacho software? I've no I.T. equipment of my own except an ancient PC with Win95. Somehow i don't think it's worth digging out a long extension lead to use that.

Cheers, doug

12. rubjonny

pretty much any laptop will work really, just need to have a usb port and win95-xp. i think some work on vista, 7 seems to be a no-go. for ease of everything id stick to XP, should have everythign workign without any messing about :)

good news is suitable laptops are available dirt cheap on ebay! I have a fujitsu siemens S7110 here which has a lovely big screen and is more than capable of running XP, if anything its over-specced for the job. it actually makes a very nice every-day laptop too. gety a docking station with it and you could replace your old pc! plug all your monitor and mouse/keyboard into it and jobs a goodun.
    one on ebay for 200+19 delivery buyitnow.

the lappy i had before that was a S6120D, and that was more than capable of running vag-tacho and vag-com on xp. even that made a pretty good every-day lappy, just screen was a bit smaller than I would have liked, but then I'm a geek. perfectly fine for most people :lol: seen a couple on ebay for just over 100 buyitnow, and one on an auction at 20.
    again get a docking station and can use all your old pc bits on it :thumbup:

an old B series with a touch screen would be pretty awesome for diagnostics, really small and portable. not so good for every day as small screen, but for touch screen diagnosics ya cant fault em

13. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks, Jonny

The old PC is pretty much retired anyway, I think the hard drive's about to fail. I'm not that well up on I.T. equipment, and undecided about buying, what with new gear seeming to come out each time I blink. A guy who did some plastering for me recently also deals in laptops, gaming supplies, etc, so I'll see if he's got anything suitable.

thanks again, doug.

14. rubjonny

great thing about new laptops is you cant really go wrong, they're so powerfull you dont have to worry even if you get the most billy-basic one. main worry with specs now is if you're a gamer, you want the best gfx you can afford. other thing is if you go vista/7, am not sure if the old vag-tacho stuff works with it so bear in mind. tbh any similar spec lappy to the above i mention should be fine, its just cos i work for fsc i have a slight bias, plus lots of personal experience with the business models as i used to work on them all the time

15. m1keh Forum Member

The VAG-Tacho program and drivers work with Windows 7 in my experience. Although I still haven't got an SKC from my car it can read that an immo box is there. Going to try another cable to see if that will help me at all.

16. rich81 Forum Member

All the old versions of vagtacho and vag com work fine on windows 7.

17. Willowraf Forum Member

18. rubjonny

dont try a new version of vag-tacho on an old cable if its a dodgy ebay special. it will wipe your cable chip for you, making it useless. been there, done that

19. Willowraf Forum Member

cheers for that matey ill download version 2.5 now... cheers..

20. rubjonny

if possible only use the version that comes with your cable to be safe :)