Valve Stem Seal replacement - KR

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Southside, Feb 22, 2021.

1. H8V

h8v Forum Member

I think it's impossible to get 3 litres of oil down the valve guides within 100 miles even when there are 16 of them, no matter how much play they have!

Rings sound much more likely. How many miles are on the engine??

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  2. Southside Paid Member Paid Member

I thinking I'm going to do the rings but in situ. Remove the sump and any other parts that need removing and then, one by one remove each piston, change the rings and use one of those honing tools to deglaze the bore and get the crosshatch pattern back. What do you think? Or is it easier to pull the block out and do it?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  3. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

If it was mine I’d definitely take the head to a shop and get the guides checked and seals replaced, they can check whether or not a skim is required at the same time. You could remove the pistons while the block is in situ but I don’t know what you’d be looking for apart from to see if a ring is stuck or broken? Personally, if you’re at the point I’d take the block out and get it professionally honed rather than using one of those tools on a drill. You’re are losing a ferocious amount of oil and would be a shame if you’d striped to this point only to reassemble with the the same problem. Are you sure you don’t have an oil leak somewhere? Looks to be a lot of oil residue around the block in the photos you posted.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I posted a link to the bentley earlier in the thread, shows valve guide checking in there. replacement doesnt look so easy as you may need to ream them out once installed.

but yeah thats got to be rings I'd say, may as well do he head though while its all in bits. something I'd prob have the machine shop do though along with bore I reckon. but then again if it was me I'd probably get shot of it and go full abf swap instead, sell the old engine cheap and let someone else deal with the rebuild :lol:

5. Southside Paid Member Paid Member

Which one is mine? I've got a kr.

Any recommendations on what size & brand piston rings I should buy?

Head is going off next week to have the guides replaced

Attached Files:

6. 2swe Forum Member

81mm is STD, but you should check the bores first.
    looking at your photos on previous page i'd say the bores are not in good shape, no honing pattern, a lot of scratches, and I'm afraid the pistons have a lot of freeplay in bores, piston crowns are touching cylinder wall at TDC..

7. Southside Paid Member Paid Member

I don't really want to increase the bore size, I want to keep the car as original as possible. If I was to increase the bore, would be able to reuse my pistons?

My compression test came back within spec so I assumed the bores would be ok?

8. 2swe Forum Member

over-bore means oversized pistons.
    theoretically, you can sleeve the bores and reuse old pistons, but I have no experience with this, I don't know who does this job or how much does it cost.

piston dimension is stamped on them.
    new ring will be better than worn rings with wide gaps, but as the piston rocks in bore, the ring-cylinder wall angle is changing and the sealing will not be perfect..

9. rubjonny

When looking at the bently use PL information, most of it will be the same. just injection specific stuff will differ vs UK spec KR code

Southside likes this.
  10. Southside Paid Member Paid Member

So looking at the piston rings, I believe the oem code is 026-198-151/A? Heritage do a set of Kolbenschmidt for £31.50 each but you look on Autodoc https://m.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/oem/026198151a prices start at £9 per set. What am I missing here? Has anybody ordered from Autodoc before?

11. rubjonny

yep ive used them before, shipping takes a fair old while but apart from that no complaints

Southside likes this.
  12. Southside Paid Member Paid Member

Which brand you recommend @rubjonny ?

Also, do I need to change anything else while I'm doing the rings?

13. rubjonny

ks will do you fine, or goetze

Southside likes this.
  14. Southside Paid Member Paid Member

So the heads back and I've started to put it back together. The company I used (EMS) based in Woodham did an excellent job. They replaced all the guides and valves have been lapped.

Attached Files:

costel1969 likes this.
  15. Bri957cc New Member

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the work cost?

16. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Autodoc delivery (from Germany) takes for ever, even worse since Brexit.

Southside likes this.
  17. Southside Paid Member Paid Member

Autodoc are taking ages. I placed the order on the 23rd March and their courier (GLS) still claim it's in "Transit". Chatted to Autodoc again this morning and they've requested an update from GLS and are waiting to hear back! Luckily I've got time but if you need parts asap, best to pay the extra and order from within the UK. It's likely that the delay is due to new Brexit trading rules and confusion

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  18. Southside Paid Member Paid Member

Thatch @ EMS supplied and replaced all 16 guides and he lapped all the valves in for me, total cost £160. I really recommended his work and the price was competitive when compared to others.

Bri957cc likes this.
  19. Bri957cc New Member

Thanks that's good to hear.

I've got an ABF head of unknown history, and before building the engine up was considering getting it refurbished.

20. Southside Paid Member Paid Member

I would 100% give him the opportunity to quote