VR6 Engine Covers (And VR Questions)

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by Mikedav, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Mikedav Forum Member

Why do some look like this....

Nice Engine Cover

...While I have this?

My Engine Cover (Not My Car Though)

Both are MKIVs, is the first one the 12vs only? Its in a MKIV you see, but I know in the US the MKIV was fitted with the 12v for a while. Just like to know, as its a damn sight nicer looking than my dull cover
    Edited by: Mikedav

2. Macca Forum Member

Links dont work :(

3. Mikedav Forum Member

Dont they? They do for me!

It sems the good one is the 12v, and they changed to ugly ones when they went to 24v :(

4. Andy947 Forum Addict

Nope, they dont work

5. tdwindustries New Member

they do for me!

6. Jeff Forum Junkie

the "good" one youre talking about is a 24v VR6. I'm not sure WHAT the second link is, never seen one before. You sure its a VR6 with a standard engine cover? Might be some kinda new cover. Whats yours look like?

a 12v VR6 looks like this (but not painted black!):

[​IMG]

ps to make the links work edit your post and use the world icon ;)

7. Mikedav Forum Member

Jeff, mine looks like the 2nd one. Very boring. Ive got no bright red HT leads or anything like on the V5 or VR6 cover pictured

8. AndrewF Forum Addict

i wouldn't loose sleep over it, its what's underneath that counts!!!

IMO, they both look as bad as each other...you can't beat the look of the 'original' vr6 engine...shame it has to change when you put on a schrik manifold!

9. Mikedav Forum Member

I was just curious, I like the HT leads over the top and stuff...plastic covers are dul enough, its nice when they do something cool with them.

Still loving my VR but it feels almost agricultural when cold, is that normal? Can here the clutch engaging in 1st and 2nd, what sounds like diff whine for the first mile, and it definetly wants to warm up before you rev it hard. But after that its sweet as anything. Is this all normal?

Oh and everyones telling me the 12v is a far better engine than my 24v! That this:

Golf VR6 174 BHP 1205 Kg 144 Bhp per tonne
    Golf V6 4M 201 BHP 1452 Kg 138 Bhp per tonne

Makes mine far less potent and even comments that its not as smooth and doesnt sound anywhere near as nice as the original VR. Hrmph.

10. Jeff Forum Junkie

a 2.9 12v is 190bhp [:^:]

never seen an engine cover as boring as yours on a VR6 Mike, you sure its a VR6? :p

11. Mikedav Forum Member

Jeff, do you think mine might look like the 12v under that cover? Might take it off

12. Jeff Forum Junkie

Dunno, it could do! take it off its only there to cover up the engine so that people are deterred from playing with what they dont understand...

13. Mikedav Forum Member

Its 10.05pm and I am considering going outside in the bitter cold and dark and trying to take it off, despite the fact I know I wont be able to see sh!t. Is this normal CGTI behaviour?

14. madmonkey Forum Addict

Oh good god dude, that's dull looking, Hopefully with all that plastic cack taken off it, it should look a damn sight better.

Put it away, it's almost put me off Bora 4motions, might have to look out for a V5 now [:^(] :( [:v:]

15. Rahul Forum Junkie

sure is, i just replaced my oil switch on my block!

16. Mikedav Forum Member

Thats it Mad Monkey, cheer me up! ;) As regards the V5 (150BHP at least) - PANTS. Biggest dissapointment of my life, went out to buy one, drove it and then had to test drive the V6 next to it to cheer myself up (which I ended up buying).

My 1.6 felt more fun to drive, a lot revier and not much slower. V5 easily pulled more above 50MPH of course, but it wouldnt pick up until 3000rpm ish and was just very dull to drive - not a fun engine. Sounded a bit like a V6 at M Way speeds though. Didnt see the point of V6 MPG with such dull performance. No wonder they are cheap.

Anyway as for my engine cover, definetly gonna take it off and have a look tomorrow. Might see if I can fit an R32 cover (sans badge of course) instead
    Edited by: Mikedav

17. madmonkey Forum Addict

Just spent the last half hour looking for pics of the V6 4Motion engine, pics are rare and ones without the cover on are impossible! :o Post pics as soon as poss! [:D] [:^:]

18. Mikedav Forum Member

Ok no probs. But mine looks exactly like number 2, with a V6 badge on the black square and stock airbox...dull! Ill do pics with it off too

19. AndrewF Forum Addict

does your vr6 pick up from lower revs than that? cause 12v's need to be wound up to 4000rpm!

20. Mikedav Forum Member

Well theres a wave of power that kicks in at around 4000RPM, but it generally pulls all the time and I was much more impressed with yhe V6 - it was the engine I wanted the V5 to be.

Shame coz the V5 I was looking at was nearly half the price :o

------------------

[​IMG]

Jeff, I have discovered whats going on. Picture one is a 12V MKIV cover. Picture 2 is a 24V MKIV cover. Your picture (obviously) is the 12V MK3 cover.

So Im screwed. As I say though, ill tkae it off today and see what I find