Vrs/Ibiza driveshaft CV swap

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by dodgy, Nov 15, 2019.

1. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Hello there!
    Gradually gathering parts for a mk3 1.8t conversion, using an o2m 6 speed.
    Have got hold of a short golf mk4 shaft and a fabia/Ibiza long shaft.
    Golf shaft should fit the mk3 hub flange no problem, but sure I've read the fabia CV needs a spacer/washer (4mm from memory) to fit, think splines are too long?
    Is it possible to fit the vr6 outer CV to the Skoda shaft?
    Also, just looking quickly as put in shed in semi dark, looks like the outer threads are different between the 2 shafts, mk4 golf one being larger ( have no nut on it yet) and fabia one has an odd nut looking like a water stopcock valve with smaller thread.
    Any info appreciated cheers

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

pop off the outer cv joints and measure up/compare the outer splines. if you have any 100mm mk1/2/3 golf shafts lying about check them vs those as the outer 4x100 and 5x100 cv joints are the same fit on all of these models

according to this thread the mk2/3 cv is 30 tooth, and some mk4 are also 30 tooth but some are 27 tooth (r32)
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/cv-joint-drawings.234057/

3. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Looks hopeful then, I'll try get in shed and have a play with them and measure for length thread too.
    Its a mk4 6 speed, so I'll try that on Vrs shaft and count splines, would be better if can have same ends on the shafts.
    Thanks Rubjonny