VW alloy blocks - what are the origins?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by A.N. Other, Sep 30, 2010.

1. danster Forum Addict

Any hybrid engine would be very different from an oem engine for sure. However there are companies that convert both alloy block 1.6 16v and 1.6 8v engines to run turbos, so presume there is some degree of resilience to temp and power output parameters.
    As per normal the factory compression figures for the 1.6 AKL are wrong. They CC out at nearer 9.5:1 than the stated 10.2:1.

20v heads can be found on the alloy blocked ALT engine too. There could well be specific variations in the head to cope with this, however there are folk that run them with ITBs, cams and management with no real issues.
    I would presume piston to bore clearance would be the most relevant area that substantial differences in running temperature would effect.
    Interestingly I noted that later pistons in both iron and alloy block engines run a larger piston to bore clearance than the earlier engines. May be why the old engines needed 100k to run in and loosen off. :lol:

2. mark25 Forum Junkie

I think there's confusion within vw (and therfor haynes too) about the different 1595cc engines of this period. I'm also pretty sure when they replaced the 1.8 20v with the 2.0 8v for some applications they didn't bother re-engineering the red-line on the rev counter.

That would be my guess too, but it judging by haynes, the only difference between the 2.0 iron block engines and 1.6 ally block engines is the cam run-out, 0.05 vs 0.01mm resp, in the same head casting with the same valves[:s]

3. decoc182 Forum Member

Sorry for digging up an old thread, thought best to add here than start another thread. I have an ALT block on the stand at the minute, and was under the impression they were cut bores with nikasel coating. Ive just dug up the "4 cylinder big block weights" and came across these :-

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1999806&postcount=47
    http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2001200&postcount=49

Have just checked myself with a simple magnet test, and it success it magnetised. Would this suggest they are similar to the 16v small blocks, and have them steel liners cast in from the factory ? Dont fancy chopping it up for the sake of research :lol:

4. Lee H New Member

I've had a look on eBay and there are plenty of the correct engine code alloy blocked mk4 lumps for sale. Is there an alloy block small block option? That is the whole block not just the head?

5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Which codes are you referring to?

6. Lee H New Member

The ones on the previous page in the table. There are a few on eBay at the moment from mk4s.

I've dug about online but can't find anything concrete about small alloy blocks, mainly thinking along the lines of putting one in a mk1/mk2 polo on twin 40 carbs in the future.

7. LeftcoastTigger Paid Member Paid Member

Tristan, did you ever succeed with this mission; regardless could you or others please identify the ali 2.0 engine model codes, as the thread splits, hijacks, trijacks etc become very confusing given that original entries may have been deleted

Further, are these 220 or 236mm height blocks?

By chance are there any cross flow 8v 1.6 heads which fit them?

Thanks all!

8. Toyotec

I believe Tristan was attempting to mate a later ALT lower half to a 16v head.
    He can of course confirm.

It was suggested to clean up this thread and I have started to do so.

In addition here is the table posted earlier with more information added to it.

Engine code Size Application Year Output
    BFQ 1595cc 1J Golf, 8L A3 2001-2003 102bhp
    AKL/AEH 1595cc (8v) 1J Golf, 8L A3, 1U Octavia, 6V Polo Classic 1997-2003 100bhp
    APF 1595cc (8v) 1J Golf 100bhp
    AVU 1595cc (8v) 1U Octavia, 1J Golf 102bhp
    ALT 1984 cc (20v) 8E A4, 3B3 Passat (facelift) 2001-2 130bhp
    BGU 1595 cc 8v 5P Seat Altea 2004 102bhp

Will perform some tidying and add some further comments on the origin of some of the alloy blocks both EA111 and EA113 later :thumbup:

The block heights are the same as a 1.8 20vT so 220 mm.

The 8v 1.6 EA113 cylinder head can be fitted to a 1.8 or 2.0 EA113 engine.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  9. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

2.0- 20V block ( ALT code ) is very similar to the FSI 2.0 block ( they use a diffferent waterpump)
    FSI engine codes are AXW, BLX, BLY, BLR, BVX, BVY, BVZ

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  10. Toyotec

The benefits found on the ALT base die cast alloy engine, were carried over to the later EA113 2.0 engines that also employed direct injection technology yes.

11. Toyotec

The origins of VW diecast engines.

So VW Alloy Blocks. What were the origins?

With the introduction of the 'A4' (as in Golf 4) platform vehicles in 1997, the engine design for 'Big Block' engines as we called them, was changed from the '827' to the '113'.

[​IMG]

113 revisions for both 1.9 diesel and petrol were:

• The intermediate shaft was deleted
    • The water pump was driven from the cam belt
    • The oil pump was driven with a chain from the crankshaft.
    • On petrol engines control system negated the need for a gear driven distributor as well.

These actions helped to reduce engine friction and as a result improve fuel economy. This may sound pretty trivial to us petrol heads, however to the OEM, this is a pretty big deal.

Larger 'B' platforms continued to use the old 827 motor until a mid cycle action ( facelift) i.e. 2000 year Audi A4, and 3B3 Passat, where 113 engines were used.

[​IMG]

Smaller VW platforms such as the Polo, Lupo, and Arosa, which used the EA111 engine, also made changes and switched to alloy blocks for the 1.4 and 1.6 engines. Compared to the previous bucket tappet AFH 1.4 16v, the rethink to die cast alloy along with other components, reduced total engine weight by up to 10kg.
    The reason for this rethink in engine design? German emission regulations 'D1' as well as the EU fuel economy and emission requirements 'EU2' became tighter D1-D2+ and EU2 to EU 3+. Therefore a different approach to aging EA827/EA111 engine design was required.

Focusing on the larger 113 engines for a moment.

[​IMG]

The first type of NASP 2.0 113 engine was seen in the Beetle, using a cast iron block (AQY) and an 8v crossflow cylinder head with air injected around the fuel injectors to improve fuel economy. This was a 2.0 motor that superseded the older Crossflow 827 engine from the US.
    When the Golf MK4 started production, engines on based on the EA113 were the 1.9 TDI, the 1.8 NA 20v, 1.8 20vT, the 2.0 8v and the 1.6 8v.

[​IMG]

The latter engine, the 1.6 8v was made of die cast alloy. From observations in the UK and in the EU as this engine was made in large volumes meant the price per engine was reduced for the manufacturer using a die cast alloy.

The Golf Mk3 dressed up as a MK4 cabriolet (so called 'MK3.5') also made the switch to 113 motor around 1999.

In addition to the revised 102bhp 1.6 8v, the 8E Audi A4 and 3B3 Passat also used an alloy 2.0 block in a unique 20v engine called the ALT. This 130bhp engine replaced the 115bhp 2.0 8v.

[​IMG]

While the ALT engine was port fuel injection (PFI), the 20v head was different to that seen in the 1.8 20vT heads, with a ladder frame construction that negated the need for bearing caps. And the VVT mechanism was also different. It also used an electronic thermostat.
    The alloy bottom end can be used with later 'FSI' head types as well as 20vT heads and so on.

[​IMG]

After the ALT PFI engine, the need to meet the better fleet fuel economy targets and even tighter EU4 and future emission standards, while improving customer expectations, direct injection with a stratified capable engine was developed and we had the FSI engines like the AXW, BLR, BLX, BLY and so on.

[​IMG]

All the technologies seen on the ALT block were carried over, except components related to combustion such as the cylinder head and pistons. 1.6 8v die cast engines were still made.

So what were the alloy engine origins i.e 111 and 113? Well they were an update to the grey cast iron blocks of the same family. Most of the die cast engines were used on non turbocharged, mass produced vehicles, thus saving the manufacturer over engine cost as well reducing vehicle weight. A win for the OEM.

I hope that the question is answered and we can continue to add more details about this type of technology in appropriate places on the forum.

:thumbup:

12. LeftcoastTigger Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks, HPR and Toyotec; really appreciate your feedback

My challenge is finding Nth American 2.0 236mm height ali blocks and suitable 8v heads

Plenty of 1.8 220mm 20v engines and gradually increasing numbers of late 2.0TFSI, but the latter are still very expensive, and there don't appear to have been any "big block" 1.6 8v heads at all

13. Toyotec

No alloy 236mm 2.0 alloy 4 cylinder engines as far as I am aware. Unless someone knows differently.

14. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Yes Ed , I have an ALT block , with 9a style pistons , getting mated to an 051 head . you need a Crossflow beetle headgasket , modifications to cam drive , one of the head-block dowels is about 3mm out of alignment and you need special headstuds . Also conrods of a stronger type , ie kr style .