VW motorsport style 02A shifter tower and modiifed All Smiles shifter

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by steve r, Jan 4, 2008.

1. altern8 Forum Junkie

hows this surviving

2. tornadored2er New Member

Hi Steve,

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if you might have some measurements for the bushings you machined for the lever?

Also perhaps some measurements for the nylon bushing in the o2a tower?

Cheers,
    -Mike

3. steve r

steve r Forum Member

Hi Mike,

Sorry, I don't have any drawings/measurements for those parts. I just made them to suit on the day after measuring the various parts they interfaced with.

The bearings used on the lever are 17/30/2mm so the bush will be something like 30mm overall o/d, top hat section 16.9mm? to give a little clearance for the thrust washers to slide on and bearing to turn and then 3.9mm deep (the washer & bearing stack up is 4mm) to ensure the lever runs on the bearing. The i/d of the bush will have been drilled to be an interference fit on the all smiles lever as you don't want the bush to turn and the overall thickness of the bush determined by the distance between the lever and the housing it slots into.

Long term I would like to make a few more of these but i'm currently trying to move house & design/build a garage & workshop so it won't be for a while.

altern8 - Over 2 years late answering your question [:$] It's still surviving very well thanks, not that its had much use recently [8(] It's never given me any trouble and has always delivered a nice positive shift and remained rattle free.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  4. tornadored2er New Member

Thanks for the reply & info, Steve. Very much appreciated!!

5. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

good info here, thanks
    Jon