VW PRO 54 - 20vt drag mk2 *now a 9 second car*

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by carlg, Oct 13, 2014.

1. carlg Forum Member

here are the tops of the two broken pistons

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. carlg Forum Member

So new engine is in and went for a dyno tune tonight made 349hp @309.3 lbft of torque @ 1.8 bar ... and with a 100hp shot made 372.5 and 378.9 lb ft however it became apparent that my wastegate was opening ... :( the turbo should be good to 3bar .... looking at my invoices it appears that i have a 6 psi spring in my wastegate ... that might be the issue

3. AjVR Forum Member

Any dyno graphs from this? Would have thought you should be making more power than that.

4. carlg Forum Member

Here are the dyno printouts, first one is my basic road tuned map second is the map without nitrous and third is the run with nitrous

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also I went racing at big bang this weekend and managed a new pb its now a 10 second car!!! It ran a 10.86 @133 mph also managed a new pb on my 60ft of 1.63

[​IMG]

Finite and Toyotec like this.
  5. Break Forum Member

awesome thread, its great to see a really fast golf.

10 seconds to 130 mph is just stupid, when you nail the reliability it will be formidable!

carlg likes this.
  6. carlg Forum Member

yep... to be fair this engine i have thrown together using spares i had around me .... just been given an amk bottom end so going to build that up over the next couple of evenings and see how it goes.... as for the sillyness its the 1000ft time and speed that brings it home for me 9.1 seconds to 120 lol

[video]https://video-amt2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t42.1790-2/13103969_1101687373217476_183625720_n.mp4?efg=eyJx ZSI6IndlYl9kYXNoX2JhY2t0ZXN0XzIwMTZoMSxub19kYXNoIi widmVuY29kZV90YWciOiJzdmVfc2QifQ%3D%3D&oh=e3416ca8bc204eefb14feae8954bb149&oe=571E8E6E[/video]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  7. AjVR Forum Member

Great work on the times.

Have any pictures of this all in the engine bay?

Is your intake pipe off your turbo inlet very long? You mafless?

8. carlg Forum Member

here you go and yes mafless using megasquirt ms3x

[​IMG]

9. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

I would of liked to have seen that! It's not far off one of Karl Ellis's runs at the Spring Fest last year.

10. carlg Forum Member

Karl has ran in the 9's now..... i still have a way to go to match that :thumbup: especially as no UK FWD vw has ran in the 9's yet James Lord is closest with a 10.0

11. AjVR Forum Member

I know the DSM motors are more efficient but they are putting down 5XXawhp at approx the same boost level with HX35 on e85 fuel so im sure there is a lot more time to come from this setup.

Must get addictive wanted to get just a bit more!

12. carlg Forum Member

Yep ... I need to build a proper engine most of the ones I have been messing with I have thrown together... I now have the stronger wastegate spring but might just run the next event and see how it goes

13. carlg Forum Member

On another note I have been building up a spare engine from a Passat 1.8t APU engine code (for future reference its a small port head 058 block external water pump and 20mm pistons) as I have never played around with an external water pump engine I thought I would check if a T25 diesel sump would fit

[​IMG]

It does :thumbup: the oil pump is different but with the apu engine side and the pickup from the t25 with the shorter t25 bolts it fits... My doka tow car might be in for an upgrade at some point ;)

14. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Great read hope to see you run this year :thumbup:

15. carlg Forum Member

I had a good weekend managed to qualify 1st this weekend (11.61 on a 11.55 dialin) and got through my first round against brookie (championship leader atm) by more luck than judgement.... had a bye into the finals but rain halted play....

here is a great video of a couple of my 10 second runs at big bang

vw_singh likes this.
  16. carlg Forum Member

Had an awesome weekend at the Main Event at Santapod running in Street Eliminator in a crowd of 7,8 and 9 second cars all on street tyres.... my pb on road legal tyres was broken managed a 11.67 @ 134 mph and on my final run I managed a 136 mph pass, quite happy with this new engine (APP engine small port head) seems to be holding up very well, I managed to get through to the Quarter finals (I only got through 1 round as the Bentley had a rad leak :( ) managed a 0.03 reaction on a pro tree on my last run (which we all had a small wager on which I won) and was having fun ****ing about with my burnouts as I was confident I would be knocked out

17. sports racer Forum Member

WTF were you running against?

Whatever it was I hope it wasn't street registered.

18. 1.8T_mk2

1.8T_mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Saw you on the Sunday, looked to be going well! :thumbup:

19. carlg Forum Member

All the cars in Street eliminator are road legal and to prove it we go on a cruise and put in pump fuel and then do a hot start, if you need outside assistance to get back to the track you are disqualified ... The fastest cars run in the low 7's (7.24 is the class et record and 208mph is the speed record) I know I cannot win but its epic racing in the class and real fun

20. carlg Forum Member

Thanks dude really happy to have a working car after an event :)