VW PRO 54 - 20vt drag mk2 *now a 9 second car*

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by carlg, Oct 13, 2014.

1. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

It was a rocket ship I reckon! Lol good run though Carl :thumbup:

2. carlg Forum Member

Its Stuart Williams Karma Supra which on that run got back his record for the fastest 2JZ powered car in Europe (think he went faster again on his next run...)

3. carlg Forum Member

So had a good season so far, just back after the weekend racing at the Open Sport Nationals at Shakespeare county raceway, I had an epic weekend managed a perfect reaction (0.00027 the board only shows 0.000) qualified third and then went on to come runner up in VWPRO, as i had good points from the previous event at Shakey I have won the shakey championship as well... only downside is the stock diff has given up the ghost again (locked solid) so will be a gearbox swap before having some fun at VW ACTION this weekend

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yoof likes this.
  4. carlg Forum Member

Time for an update as I am sat in an airport waiting for a flight.....

As some of you know I took my car to the dyno the other day and had a failure which wrote that engine off it made 446hp on a silly rich tune (9 AFR) and before we could make any changes the keyway on the crank pulley sheared

Here are some pics

First the good
    [​IMG]

And the bad
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the ugly I used the old crank to test drill
    [​IMG]

So I decided to build another block and got kindly offered some wossner pistons in stock bore for a price I couldn't turn down

So the upgrades first a pegged crank pulley
    [​IMG]

Cleaned up wossner pistons with new gapped rings
    [​IMG]

Reused the max speeding rods from the last engine
    [​IMG]

And voil
    [​IMG]

Going for mapping this Sat fingers crossed....

Yoof and vw_singh like this.
  5. carlg Forum Member

So it made this with a 100 shot of nitrous
    [​IMG]

Made less power than the old engine but its less compression so that's expected 446@9.5-1 and 420@8.5-1 but it survived :)

Toyotec likes this.
  6. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Do you race it over this weekend Carl?

7. carlg Forum Member

Nope as I had a few odd jobs to do yesterday and lots of sleep to catch up on will be racing for the next 3 weekends so will update soon
    [​IMG]

8. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Nice meeting up with you mate.

The things we do to maintain our hobby eh!

9. carlg Forum Member

Just thought i would update this, only a couple of 10ths quicker, made a few changes now on a HY35 running similar boost as the HX35 but with a smaller hotside (14cm to 10CM), less nitrous 40 shot from a 100 shot and E85 [:D] my PB was on a later run 10.63 @133mph that video is below the 10.64 which is a better video.

10. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

great vids! I've been thru and fixed up all the broken images for you :thumbup:

Break likes this.
  11. carlg Forum Member

Cheers For that, A couple of weeks ago at doorslammers i ran a new PB of 10.44 @135 mph - really happy with that!

12. Yoof Forum Member

Solid effort Carl!

carlg likes this.
  13. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Holy cow, I feel sorry for the drivetrain..........
    Good efforts
    Jon

14. carlg Forum Member

Thanks no one is more surprised than me that the stock 02a (asd code) tdi box is holding up, they tend to last about a year of racing then the diffs die, same goes for the driveshafts stock 100mm gti shafts only broken 1 cv cage in 5 years of hard launches.... thing is all the time its holding together for a sensible amount of time i don't see the point in upgrading .....

15. carlg Forum Member

Spoke too soon since that last update i have broken 2 3rd gears..... time to goto 02m so that is my winter project now....

16. 10mm socket Paid Member Paid Member

I’m going 02m Carl this winter.... along with 4wd :)

17. carlg Forum Member

I am going to leave the transfer box on so that i only need to do one set of driveshafts and downpipe which should make going 4wd later alot easier if i choose that route. I took the car to flame and thunder last month and added some additional timing and played with a couple of settings that were holding me back, i was able to run a 10.8 @ 133 mph without nitrous (same as my pb back when i had it dynoed with a 100hp shot @559 hp) and with a 75hp shot of nitrous on the last run ran a 10.8 (with a rubbish launch) @ 143 mph .... according to some american calculators (i know i know....) that mph increase at my weight would require 115 hp more to jump that 10mph... I really want to put it on a dyno to see where the car is now, before i put the valves springs and cams in this winter....

18. carlg Forum Member

Been a while since I last updated this,

A couple of Weekends back I managed a 9.95 @ 146 mph I am now using a holset hx52 (67mm one with an 11cm hotside) which seems to be working well albeit at quite high boost (49.7 peak on the 9.95) I am uisng a 7 bar map sensor (MPX5700AP) still on e85 and a 70 shot of nitrous to get it off the line.

That weekend I ran a 9.998 on a 9.99 dial (put me in number 1 qualifier) then the following morning in the last qualifier went 9.95 unfortunately the head gasket started to lift a couple of runs later but I went on to win the event I bent a rod slightly possibly due to hydrolocking that cylinder.

Engine specs now
    stock apart from
    maxspeedingrods (20mm ones)
    arp head bolts
    pinned crank pulley
    spa road cams
    rosten performance springs
    rosten performance exhaust vavles
    2200cc CNG Bosch injectors
    CG performance multiplate clutch
    stock 02m gearbox

I have also got my Mk4 running with a load of the old spares from the mk2, that is now a 1.8t with rods and arp head bolts and the pined crank running the old MS2 the old 875 deka injectors (4 bar so 1000cc ish) on e85 with a hx40 turbo, A couple of mates have been driving that this year and the PB for the car is a 10.77 @ 130 (my pb in the car is a 10.92)

Skool likes this.
  19. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Very impressive!

was interesting read :)

20. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

its very surprising to see what you have achieved with a lot of standard parts when the conventional approach is almost 180 degrees out. nice work.