vw spiess f3 engine in Ireland

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Brian.G, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Ok so I rang this guy, real sound man, he now has engine apart and is fitting a 16v head. Interestingly enough, he said that the speiss built engine in link has been fitted with steel 3mm or so sleeves:o
    He is sending me pictures of said block and sleeves in the next few days.

He is also giving me a price on the 8v head. Some valves are bent, so he said he'll think about what its worth. I wouldn't mind owning it to be honest. Im not a massive hoarder or rich but I do like the special bits all the same.

http://www.motorsport-sales.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=320&products_id=2268

Ill post liner pics when he sends them.

Exciting stuff:thumbup:

BG

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Ask him what bore it runs Brian :thumbup:

3. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

ringing.............

82mm. He seems to know what hes talking about so I reckon he didnt mean 82.5. He just ordered 12.5:1 H/c pistons for the 16v abf head as I was getting off the phone. Which further reinforces that it_is 82mm. He also said it was putting out 208hp.

Head is of the flat design, with the cc in the crowns, as we know.

Hes 320miles from me round trip, Id nearly spin down and look at it..

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Nice!

Ok, can you ring him again and ask why it needed the sleeves!

5. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

He said it was overbored well into the galleries and then the sleeves pressed in. From what he can see.

The pics should make things clearer.

Is it worth the drive down to take 100pics I wonder?

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Hmmm, wonder why. Anyway... yes, pics please.

Engine code, casting number, pics front and back - and the origins will easy! It looks like an EG possibly, though the capacity may be an issue. Maybe this is the reason for the liners?

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

Interesting kit... I assume he didn't know about the bent valves when he advertised it as "complete and perfect condition"

If it's an 82mm bore and 2.0 litres, has it got a 94.5mm steel crank in it (Holbay?).

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Actually, could be one of these H-blocks?

9. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

No, he bought as part of a lot(god knows what else was in the lot) and assumed it to be ok until he had a proper look, he said he couldnt figure how to edit add.

It has got a steel crank, make or throw unknown as yet, hes still stripping it. Steel rods too, as in not vw items. I hope he takes good pics or Ill have to go see it myself.

Other remarks in his own words,

''very like a diesel casting, you can see where the injector insert holes were blanked at time of pouring''

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  10. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Txt update, reason for valve failure, has bottom pulley off and key is spun, belt still intact.

11. danster Forum Addict

That looks like a later block. If you look under the lower right side of the coolant outlet off the head inbetween 1 and 2 cylinders, you can just make out the extra meat on the cylinder head gasket face of the block for the second oil drain found on later engines.
    The early flat head 1588cc head does not have this second oil drain.

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Yep, looks like this one if anything to go by :thumbup:

13. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Question is, is it worth buying I wonder? I think it is. What is head worth does anyone know, and given its condition?

14. Mike_H Forum Addict

He's a casting man... you'll be best mates I reckon ;)

15. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

Crank most likely by alfing kessler ( long time spiess suplier)

EG head
    1.8 block ( iirc )

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  16. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Thats what I thought too Mike, to talk to someone in Ireland about this stuff is something! He even cc'd the 16v cylinder head too_himself! Not many at that here in their back sheds I can tell you.

17. danster Forum Addict

I am slowly managing to think with my head and not my heart on purchasing stuff like this. You are a clued up kiddie Brian, you will no doubt spot a load of things wrong with this engine on close inspection that will require sorting out at a cost of your money or time.

Linered block for 82mm, why? It is either an 82.5mm block downsized, or it has had an issue and damaged the bores and been linered to fix.

The internals will all have been used and subject to the rigours of competetion use too.
    Can't help feeling a man of your ability could build something similar and know it was all good. Fancy rods and pistons are only 800, cam is only 200. The rest is just fettling that you could manage.

18. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

I hear ya Danster, but the way I see it is, I have spent no money on engine parts really in 3yrs, cos Im tight, and so make them, so maybe I could do just this once. Just the head.

God damn I feel like Charlie wanting to buy that last wonka bar for the golden ticket[:$]:lol:

19. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

What's the max bore an EG / H-block / DX will take? Or the difference between the 3 on a relative basis?

20. Mike_H Forum Addict

I reckon even Brian would struggle to make a steel crank, but I reckon there's a valid point that you could build almost as good an engine for less money. It wouldn't be quite so cool as a 'proper' F3 engine.

What's he looking for, now that the damage is known? I'm not about to rush down there and buy it...