VW Touran need help

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by 8valvenut, Mar 14, 2018.

1. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

Hi everyone been a while since i posted.
    A friend of mine recently bought a 2007 1.6 petrol Touran as his family car its his first VW and knows absolutely nothing about cars.
    to cut a long story short i told him to give it back and get a refund (its bad) so he negotiated with the guy and got a huge discount on it instead.
    He was told the car had a new ecu so he asked me to check it over for him, for starters the speedo doesnt work then once its started the car does its checks and tells you that no lights are working BUT they are everything works as it should.
    So i popped the bonnet and found an absolute complete bodge job of wiring going on every loom has been broken into and wires have been taped together everything from the injectors to the headlights and more theres extra wires spliced in here there and everywhere too i had a really good look around and sussed out some of it but theres all sorts baffling me.
    The golden question is... would it be possible to simply scrap all the wiring harnesses/looms and replace with new/second hand ones and what would be the easiest way to do it ?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  2. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Sounds like a nightmare! What is the reason the wiring is in this state?

If you could get a loom from the scrappy of the same car you could replace it. It would be quite a job though.

3. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

Ive no idea why its in the state it is all I know is that the ecu was changed. And for reasons we dont know the wiring has been butchered