Washer issue

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by @calyspo_gti, Jan 28, 2021.

1. @calyspo_gti New Member

Afternoon all.. My mk2 golf used to have front and rear washer jets but the rear was deleted by previous owner.. I’ve now relocated the reservoir and lengthened the wiring using the original plug.. but now the washer motor only works when I push the stalk away (rear) and not toward (front)

I’ve tried reversing the wires but it’s the same result.. it worked fine before I swapped to an aftermarket reservoir and pump

can anyone help

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

so the washer previously used to spray the screen when you pulled the stalk back, and now even with wires switched the pump only works when pushed forward? when you switched wires the opposite washer jet works though right ?

3. @calyspo_gti New Member

Thanks for the reply, I only have fronts.. the new washer is a single outlet (the rear has always been redundant, even on the original bottle .. hope this helps

4. rubjonny

oh I see so you dont want the rear washer to work, I thought you were trying to add the rear washer back in :lol:

do the front wipers come on as well when the jet comes on, or do you only get the wipers when you pull back on stalk just no washer

5. @calyspo_gti New Member

The wipers don’t either! There is no voltage (not even residual or indication of a short) when I put the multimeter in the pump plug either.. what I neglected to say is the stalk is aftermarket from heritage

it’s currently in for MOT this morning so when it’s home I’ll strip the column and check my connectors, however everything else works including mfa

Do you know what plugs are linked to washers on the back of the fuse board? It might be worth me checking there too

6. rubjonny

7. @calyspo_gti New Member

Thanks Jonny, you’re the best :thumbup:

8. @calyspo_gti New Member

Sorted!
    Defective wiper stalk :thumbup:

all good now ;)

9. rubjonny

good stuff :)