Water hoses 1.8t

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by dodgy, May 27, 2020.

1. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Hi, been trying to work out the plumbing of the APY engine.
    The engine was not removed by me, and a few hoses were cut, or broken at plastic connectors.
    Have got replacement joints, but trying to work out in my head the expansion bottle.
    On gearbox end, there is one small outlet, am I correct thinking this connects to the (top of) expansion bottle on drivers side in the original S3, via a pipe along bulkhead.
    2 hoses chopped above turbo area are heater supply presumably.
    Then on belt end of lump I have one hose, does this go to the underside of expansion bottle, but the one I got from a mk4 golf in scrappy has a Y connector, broken but got replacement, So what does that connect to?
    Cant seem to find decent pics online really, and not able to nip to Breakers to check.
    Am I possibly missing another Y piece which joins in the smaller bottle system?
    Sorry if it seems a daft question, just trying to make sure have it sorted ready.
    Cheers Dave

Attached Files:

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

here you go:
    Clipboard01.jpg

dodgy likes this.
  3. dodgy

Thanks john, you are a star.
    So looks like I dont need that extra y piece that is fitted on the pipe from expansion bottle, just the 2 unconnected pipes, 1 on gearbox end to top of it, other to bottom of it at belt end. Heater matrix off the back two.
    Think it's the extra y bit that was throwing me.
    Trouble piecing bits together I suppose.
    What happens with the electric cooling pump, cools turbo after turned off presumably?
    What do I wire it to?

4. rubjonny

yep thats the one. the S3 has a simple turbo timer relay to run it, plenty aftermarket ones to be found on the bay of e :)

dodgy likes this.
  5. dodgy

Fantastic, I'll look more into them, quick search last night, was trying to remember turbo stuff from my old minis, but as I'm old bit hazy on what did in early 90s!
    Found Subaru ones, but only a quick search.
    Gradually getting my head around what's required, learning way round VW stuff, thanks to the help of guys in here.

6. jshep73 Forum Member

Sorry to hi-jack... photo 1 the small coolant line that goes to the expansion tank. I have a 16v rad which has a return ontop that goes to expansion tank. So does it matter which is plugged???

7. rubjonny

you could use the mk4 pipe routing to the tank or the mk2 rad nipple whichever works out easier for you

jshep73 likes this.