Water ingress into passenger footwell

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by Matthew Walker, Dec 9, 2021.

1. Matthew Walker New Member

Hi everyone.

I’m guessing this subject has been discussed many times I wouldn’t find what I was looking for when searching (I’m still getting use to forum)

I’m getting water in to the passenger foot when it’s been raining heavy my driveway slopes down and my car is parked at an angle (see picture).

I’ve checked what I think is a drainage hole under the scuttle plan in the corner and it’s clear and allows water to pass out from it.

so I’m not sure how the water is getting in also just to add I fitted a new windscreen 6 months ago so the window seal was replaced then I even leak tested it with a hose pipe to check it was water tight and it was ok.

I know issues like this can be tricky to trace where the water is getting in.

TIA

Attached Files:

2. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Have you checked the passenger door membrane behind the door card - I would start there, then re-check the windscreen seal using a power washer (hose won't have enough power to truly check it) Are all your grommets on the passenger side of the bulkhead present/seated properly/in good condition? Is everything good and clear around the scuttle area - no leaves, moss or heaven forbid any holes/perforations

3. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Replace your heater foliage seal too. A cheap job that rules it out too. That stopped a great deal of my water issues.
    Apart from the sunroof and as said above, the door membranes

4. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

Yup, door membrane has to be the prime suspect. If membrane’s ok then get the carpets out, front and rear as water will migrate to the rear footwell as that’s the lowest part of the floor pan. With the carpets out you can dry out the carpets and the soundproofing that has a soft material underside which will probably be soaking. Dry the floor pan out, then when it rains sit in and wait for the tell tale drip, or drips. I had a leak coming from where the chassis leg joins the bulkhead where the seam sealer had failed. With the carpet out you’ll see where the water is running in from.

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

have a close look at the scuttle plastics as well, once fitted it should completly cover the foliage grille. mine had a small chunk snapped off the end which allowed water to drip right in

but yeah, prime suspect is always the membrane behind the door card

6. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

While back I had the dash out and noticed this, it's the view of the plastic sunroof drainage pipe just as it exists the passenger side A pillar into the area behind the front wing. You're looking at it from inside the car, through an aperture that's normally hidden behind the trim piece that runs down to the dash speaker (hope that makes sense!)

The pipe was maybe always a loose fit or possibly it has shrunk over the years, but the upshot is there's quite a large gap created.

Thought at the time it would be a potential source of leaks... don't see it being exposed to much water normally but it's possible a little could creep in over time through capiliary action, maybe in circumstances such as yours where the car's regularly parked on a slope.

I've since pressed some mastic type material around it... it's like industrial blutak, caravaners use it to seal their roofs, waterproof, able to be molded after kneading and non-permanent if you want to remove it for whatever reason.

leak.JPG

leak1.JPG
    leak2.JPG

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
  7. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

The blutak style stuff sounds like flexibond or flexistrip, it's a butyle glazing strip, made by Hodgson sealants, I used to glaze the windows I made with it, it would adhere and be flexible so that when the wood moves it moves with it.
    It's great stuff and may be worth trying a local glazier to see if have a part roll going cheap.

8. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Went back over my purchases and this is the stuff, does look to be in the style of flexistrip.

I think it was closer to £8.00 then, but it was maybe a year ago now... even not, there was plenty left over and one of those usefull things to have about -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183190892512

dodgy likes this.
  9. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

That's it, actually had a couple of houses where bees would eat the stuff, and one where a bird pecked it out!

10. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

some non-setting mastic would work as well, I had a big tube of it to seal round the rear screen in my cabby when I did the roof

dodgy likes this.
  11. Night trucker Paid Member Paid Member

Glad I saw this post,over the last week both front footwells are soaked,car is parked slightly downhill time to start looking properly,well if it ever stops raining that is

12. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I have tracked this problem down, having observed a puddle forming in my car before fitting carpets. This was on a car I was building during the lockdown last year.
    All the usually places to check was pointless as it was a build from scratch, with new windscreen, rubbers, any rust treated and sunroof seal replaced with drains check with my compressor and pressure washer. All good.

It turned out it was the door membranes. I had my son blast the doors with the pressure washer. The weather proofing does very little to stop water getting into the door. If the membranes have any holes in them, the water gets past toward the door card and seeps past the door rubber to your mats or carpet.
    I saw it happen with our simulated shower.

The solution is, repair the membrane, but let the bottom part of the membrane into the door, not stick on the out side.
    This will apply to 5 door models also. Which reminds me, I need to sort this on my more door also.

Hope that helps.

Night trucker likes this.