Waxoyl/ rustproofing

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by Golfmaddubgirl, May 10, 2009.

1. Golfmaddubgirl Forum Member

Hi guys- thinking of saving up to have my 10 year old GTI waxoyled/rustproofedin time for next winter- just wondered if anyone knew of anyone in the Derby/Nottingham area that could do this and how much it would cost?
    Was thinking of doing it myself but after my dad died last year and fiance cleared off 3 weeks ago I have no-one to do all these car related bits with anymore!
    Any advice would be appreciated!
    Thanks

2. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

there are a lot of dubbers in derby / nottingham area

who could either help you do it or point you in right direction

check out the nottingham and derby sections of the forum

3. erantomer Forum Member

i think mk4's are way over getting rusted.

4. tinydubs

tinydubs Forum Member

i have too strongly disagree, it all starts with a stone chip. prevention is far better than a cure. :thumbup:
    going nuts on wax will do no harm at all.
    unless you get it on the exhaust.[eek]

5. wcrado Forum Member

Any back street garage (I.e not a kwik fit!) should do it for you, and if you want to supply the waxoil I think a decent sized tin is less than 20. You may need to buy the little plastic sprayer to go with it though. I got both bits from Halfrauds about 4 years ago, cost me around 30- still haven't got around to doing it! But then, I don't have a 4 poster ramp. I'm gonna book it in for an hour at my local garage and get it up on the ramp and get them to do it. shouldn't cost much.

6. Chris Murphy New Member

I've recently bought a 1992 Golf GTI the dream car from my teen years on eBay. I am looking to fully restore the car and protect the undercarriage. Is Dinitrol any good? I guy recommended them at NEC Resto show earlier this year selling aerosols and litre cans. I've just found the aerosols here that appear reasonable https://www.tiltrak.com/product/dinitrol-4941-car-underbody-protection/ it notes the product is self healing is this actually true or is Waxoyl a better option

7. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Firm believer in waxoyl applied with a paint brush annually, any car
    Jon

8. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

I brush on waxoyl and used to use a hand held spray bottle with waxoyl/white spirit mix in it do it on a hot day waxoyl left in the sun to get nice and thin and runny spray it in all the holes in chassis and doors etc you will see the vapour coming out of any gaps or holes near where you are spraying it in. Just make sure you have overalls, hat, disposable gloves,rags, disposable mask suitable for vapour and do it in a well ventilated area

9. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

If you have any welding coming up on your car, beware, it burns beautifully
    Jon