Weber 32/34 - Anyone fitted a fuel cutoff solenoid?

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by Megaross, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Megaross Forum Member

Wondering if anyone had any experience with this.

Got a weber 32/34 on the 1.8 engine, issue is it tends to diesel a bit if you shut the car off in park.

Fine in gear (now I've fixed the vaccum leaks and routing anyway) because it's got a bit of load and the idle sits lower.

I'm planning on rebuilding it soon, kit ordered. But I'm conscious that if I stop the car in park without thinking it'll be idling higher than is ideal, more angular momentum and be more prone to run on anyway. Not sure if it's fairly normal to have a bit of a problem with this on the automatics.

Thinking the landy had a shut off solenoid, it wouldn't be overly difficult to retrofit, single wire feed (presumably ignition live?). Has anyone got any experience of this?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

how recently was the job done, and was the reason because the 2e2 was runnign too rich? running on could be down to carbon buildup and/or engien running a little on the hot side.

on mine I had this (manual engine) was solved after doing the 'trickle water down the carb' trick to clear out all the carbon build up, also I found the 1st speed on my fan wasn't working which wasn't helping things

3. Megaross Forum Member

No idea when the Weber was fitted to the golf as it was 2 owners ago. I've found lots of stuff done badly in the car so I'm pretty much assuming nothings been done right though.

Engine runs cool as a cucumber (now I've actually put a thermostat in, it sits beautifully at operating temp) and I'm pretty confident it's not carbon buildup as the head was off for a head gasket job a few months back and there's a build thread on another forum showing it plus all the carbon being cleaned out etc.

Could try the water trick anyway, I'm going to stick new plugs and air filter on it when I rebuild the carb soon and I'm hoping that with a proper carb setup it should minimise the condition at least but I remember webers being prone to it anyway if everything wasn't 100%

I need to obtain a timing light and verify the timing is set right as well, obviously that's another one under the microscope.

Like I say it's fine when you stop it in drive (idling around 1000rpm) but if you stop it in park (more like 12-1300rpm) then it'll run on a bit. Thinking a fuel cutoff valve might help alleviate it if throwing the usual works at it doesn't.