Weber Carb installed and cutting out at low revs

Discussion in '8-valve' started by mk2golfdriver, Mar 1, 2022.

1. mk2golfdriver New Member

Hi,

I just installed a weber 32/34 into my 1.6 driver and started up fine first time and then struggled to start up the second time 10 minutes later. I then drove it and it cut out/stalled at low revs at junctions etc. and then took a minute to start up again and high revs to set off without stalling. Does anyone know what the cause of this could be?

2. saladman

saladman Paid Member Paid Member

Couple of questions - I'm no expert but I recently fit (fitted?) installed a 32/34 on a 1.8 auto and managed to get it running - but was pretty rich and I had similar symptoms.
    • Did you replace the rubber brackety thing that goes between the carb and inlet manifold? These can split over time which causes air leaks and messes with mixture
    • Is the carb new and jetted for a 1.6 engine?
    • Did you follow any guide / instructions when setting idle and mixture?
    • Have you checked plugs for wetness (petrol) / does it stink of petrol?
    I ended up taking my car to a local old-car friendly garage and they set my mixture for me. Car ran a lot better after that, not to mention it used less fuel :)

Good luck and I'm sure somebody with more better knowledge will chime in - the more info you can share about your setup the better.

3. mk2golfdriver New Member