What a bag of S***

Discussion in 'Engines' started by suttonval, Aug 18, 2006.

1. suttonval Forum Member

Well, my golf is knackered. It started juddering a few days ago, just the occasional jolt when tapping the accelerator and at certain revs. Now its really bad, i cant drive it. As i try to accelerate it starts juddering and spluttering and kangarooing until i hit higher revs. When the car is sat idling and i tap the throttle the car jolts and splutters briefly before the revs increase.[:^(]

One thing after another, im starting to wonder why i bothered with the vdub route.

Ive changed the plugs, ht leads, rotor arm and cap. Ive cleaned all the vacuum pipes etc and checked for leaks, cant seem to see any. The ignition coil was replaced recently and the previous owner changed a relay (not sure which has number 167 on it) as he had a kangarooing problem.

What an earth am i going to do??! im going to end up spending a fortune on this heap of junk. Could the fuel pump be knackered perhaps?? how would i find out if it is??? Could the forementioned relay of gone again??? Should i just scrap this Bloomin car?]

Any help would be appreciated guys, i know i keep asking for advice without a lot of giving but im learning loads as i go along and helping others where i can, thanks very much.

2. Phil. Forum Junkie

Have you cleaned the ISv and the tb with carb cleaner?

3. SmnByt Forum Member

Crap in the fuel filter???

4. vwgolfgtimkii Forum Member

Hall sender?

5. suttonval Forum Member

Ive cleaned the throttle body as best i can, i havent looked at the ISV yet, would this cause a juddering and jolting when tapping the throttle, i presume the ISV is the module located near the front of the TB with VDO written on it??

Ive changed this over hasnt made a difference.

Whereabouts is this?? and are they expensive to replace??

Ive also checked the vacuum lead to the ecu and it isnt bent or disconnected or anything. Ive also tried disconnecting the MAF and it still does the same thing.

[:^(] Ive got two cars and neither of them are road worthy!

6. suttonval Forum Member

Got the ISV off, am i okay soaking it in wd40 or should i use carb cleaner???

7. vwgolfgtimkii Forum Member

Hall sender is part of the distibutor, had the same problem but took longer to go, replaced everything then a friend gave me his distibutor off his broken car, worked a treat.

Maybe even ignition amplification module? sits on top of the ecu.

Good luck man [:D]

8. vwgolfgtimkii Forum Member

carb cleaner ideally mate

9. suttonval Forum Member

Okies, i havent got any to hand, can i use wd40 to get it started then use some carb cleaner in the morning?? WD40 wont do it any harm will it?

10. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

sounds to me like the lift pump has packed in, get your ear to the metal flap in the boot to see if you can hear it running!

11. suttonval Forum Member

Lift pump?? is this something to do with the fuel pump?? I suspected this as sometimes when the fuel pump primes, especially when cold it makes a slight whining noise.

12. rubjonny

There are 2 pumps, the main pump under the car and a lift pump inside the fuel tank. If the lift pump goes it causes the main pump to strain and will give you the same symptoms as you describe :)

13. suttonval Forum Member

How much of a job is it to refit the lift pump?? I know that there is an access panel to the fuel pump under the rear boot carpet, or is it in a different place altogether??

14. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Don't use carb cleaner or you'll be replacing it shortly - speaking from lots of experience with them!. Far too harsh. Use petrol.
    Lift pump is a 15 minute job to remove and replace.
    Mk3 8v, isn't it? check the engines FAQ, there is an FAQ on the sort of problem you describe.

15. suttonval Forum Member

doh, ive already cleaned the ISV as best i could with WD40 now [:s]

Its a MK3 16v and i cant find any mention of a lift pump in the haynes manual. Ive read through everypost i could find with similar problems, but nothing i can point it to. Where is the lift pump?

16. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

No expert on Mk3's, all I use them for is to tear the engines out and put them in Mk2's! You may not have a lift pump, I'm sure someone can clarify.
    WD40 is fine and dandy - won't do a great job at cleaning it, but won't do any harm either.
    The way I like to do it is to dunk the ISV in a wee container of petrol after disconnecting the pipes, then turn the ignition on so it is "buzzing" while immersed in petrol - seems to give the best results IMO.

17. pigbladder Forum Addict

how the hell do you crap in your fuel filter?? ive tried funnels and all sorts and cant squeeze a log in there, should i try and poo with it in situ or take the filter in the dunny

any tips fellas[:s]

is crap in the fuel system similar to tsc's atf in the oil idea

18. rubjonny

Ok I don't think MK3s have a lift pump! Have you noticed the fuel pump has been making more noise recently?

19. wildwilliebaret Forum Member

its your fuel pump mate, whack another one on there i reckon, if that dont work scrap it, buy a mk1 or 2 !

20. suttonval Forum Member

Definately the fuel pump??? Im going to go and get one from GSF now if you all reckon this is the case. Its weird though, because the fuel pump hums away and stuff. Would this also be why the car has to turn over a bit before it starts because the fuel pump isnt getting petrol through quickly enough???

Ive checked all the leads, they are all firing properly and producing a spark, the ISV sat in petrol for 4hrs and was cleaned out nicely, still hasnt helped.

What sensors is it likely to be aswell?? Im going to run through them one by one if it isnt the fuel pump.

Forgot to mention, does the MK3 gti just have the one fuel pump located at the top of the tank in the boot, or does it have a lift pump aswell?? Thanks !

Last edited: Aug 19, 2006