What are people paying for their welding gas?

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by A.N. Other, Jun 4, 2010.

1. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

If you want better welds. Go with an argon co2 mix like Argoshield light if welding mild steel. Although I used it for welding stainless too. I think stainless should have a different % of CO2 ideally.
    Depends on welding thickness as to what gas is suitable.

2. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

I use a company called Energas

I have a full size cylinder that stands about shoulder hight (i'm 5'10"ish) costs 6.49 rental per month and is about 50ish to fill/exchange with no admin charge.

if you collect there is no/minimal fee but if you have it delivered its about 50. mind you that delivery charge covers the cost of as many bottles as you need delivering so worth it if you want a few. mine came home in the back of the mk2 with the seats dpwn though :o:lol:

had mine about 2 years and I'm only a quarter the way through it! think it is there biggest welding gas bottle though.

3. skint_golfer

forgot to say they work out of a "stockist network" with traveling reps rather than a central office, my local stockist is a builder who lets them store bottles in his yard.

you take him your empty with your account info, he does a straight swap for you, you leave. ennergas pay him a fee for the service and you carry on as normal.

you dont need to be trade either, you just sign up as a private user and they send a rep round to take bank details for the direct debit, confirm a signature and give you your initial purchse form that you take to their stockist.

cheapest I found by a massive amount too!

4. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

I have an account with BOC prices seem to fluctuate so much I couldn't honestly tell you how much I pay but it is rather a lot. 80 a year on rental + 50 for a Y sized bottle of argoshield + 12 admin rings a bell. It's just simple for me as there are a few BOC places in Bristol handy to where I work often.

I have also heard that pub gas gives you a pants weld but rather than listen to rumour go on the MIG welding forum and have a read up...plenty of threads on it.

5. hayesey Forum Junkie

that's pretty good actually! cheers for that link. I've got a bottle of argosheild heavy that came with my welder 2nd hand but I get on better with a mix with more argon (i.e. argosheild light) on thin mild steel or stainless. Can't get on with pure c02, probably just because I'm not a good enough welder :)

6. skint_golfer

bin there, done that and yes the quality of the welds is utter rubish [xx(]

7. richard s Forum Member

i recently set up an energas account and it works out about 5 for bottle rental per month and a refil is 20-25 with no handling charge thats on a 10 litre bottle
    i was looking into trying to get a bottle rent free but couldnt find anywhere near me that would refill a bottle that wasnt a rental bottle

8. WillG

WillG Forum Member

My BOC gas bill has just come through... Argoshield light = 116 for the year for a size X (I'm sure...the smaller bottle) 35 for the gas, 65+ for the yearly rental and 11 for the standard charge . ie delivery to the place I bought it. [:x]

9. matt d Forum Member

I recently found a guy selling argon/co2 on e-bay. I think you pay 55 deposit for the bottle plus the gas at about 35. No rent.
    He covers SW of the country and I collected the cylinder from partservice in Exeter who are agents for him.
    The cylinder has Adams gas written on it.???????

10. matt d Forum Member

Just done a search. Check out adamsgas.co.uk. (9 Litre bottles).

11. mlloyd2000 Forum Member

Just set up an account with boc, they've got an offer on which has been running for a while, setup by volkszone, y size argonosheild light for 61.35 that includes the gas and rental for the first year. It's 35 per year after that, and refills are around 30.
    Just phone sales on 0161 930 6822 and ask for the volkszone offer. They post the forms to you and once your account is set up you just go along to your local depot and pick it up.
    The offer also applies to existing customers.

12. hussy New Member

I'm welding with c02 after trying a similar setup at fabricators a couple down from my unit,
    it welds slightly hotter, and the beads are a touch more raised (minimal effort when smoothing it on bodywork anyways) think if you run it at 14/16 lpm most people wouldn't tell a difference.
    got two 6.5kg bottles delivered yday at 7 a bottle no rentals etc no cost for bottle nothing signed etc
    if anyone is near Tamworth I can get more for you guys, normal charge from him is 11 a bottle ( I got mates rates through the fabricator) if interested drop me a pm.
    for the costs as a hobby setup and quality of weld I can't fault c02 100+ extra a year to spend on shiney bits

13. Richjay77

Richjay77 Forum Member

14. slim363

slim363 New Member

15. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Doh, I could have put you onto somewhere!

Ive just got a 9 litre Pub bottle, with 5%C02/Argon mix.
    55 Deposit for the bottle. One off fee, not rental.
    27 per fill.

Thats is:thumbup: