What calipers can be used with 305mm Cupra R discs on a Mk2 Golf

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by luke w, Oct 8, 2013.

1. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

Other than the obvious Brembo 4 pots off of the Ibiza Cupra R, what other capliers (either Brembos from over vehicles or different manufactures altogether) can be used? The Cupra calipers are hard to get hold of second hand but I always come across Brembos from other cars (Evos, Fiat Coupe Turbos, 406 Coupes, etc) that are cheaper and easier to get, surely they must have used the same calipers in some of these applications?

2. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Porsche Calipers too. Epytec sell the adapters and specify which part number calipers to use. The following link is for the version to use the 305mm 4x100 Seat discs.

http://www.epytec.de/kategorien/bremsentechnik/bremssatteladapter/vw/golf-corrado-passat-23/alle-4-x-100-lochkreis-achsen/1359/vw-golf-corrado-passat-2-3-g60-porsche-bremssattel-adapter-bremse-bremssatteladapter-vorderachse?c=1570

They have other options listed too.

Do your homework on effective brake caliper pot sizing though as not to mess up your pedal ratio and brake bias.

Gurds

3. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

Thanks Gurds :thumbup:

Typically straight after starting this thread I came across a set of Cupra R Brembos that are reasonably priced so I should be picking them up tomorrow :)

4. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Have you seen the price of 305mm discs though[:x]

5. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

These come with brand new discs ;)

6. murph81 Forum Member

Are they very expensive?

7. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

Cheapest genuine discs I could find when having a quick look were 240 for the pair. I did find these on eBay, but I've no idea what the quality of them are like and I'm not a fan of drilled discs as they tend to crack.

8. solaris

solaris Forum Member

I'm using the Porsche Boxster S 3.2 front callipers (996.351.425 , 996.351.426) Ferodo DS2500 pads with those 305mm Kinetic discs you posted up. The cars not on the road yet so yet to test. Thought i'd try the Kinetic discs as they were half the price of the OE ones, i'll feed back once they are bedded in.

[​IMG]

mat-mk3 likes this.
  9. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

If you could that would be great :thumbup:

10. murph81 Forum Member

What about discs from GSF or ECP?

11. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

Neither supply the 305mm discs, they are tricky to get hold of. The other one to check is Badger5, I know Bill's prices for other parts of the kit are cheap than getting them direct from Seat.

12. bully Forum Member

Sorry for hijacking your thread but I have fitted a set as Solaris above except with the 305 disks supplied by Badger5. They are being used on my 550+bhp Rallye, however I haven't had chance to properly test them yet.

Only thing i have noticed so far is the pedal travel. There is a lot of travel before it even starts to bite, I am using a G60 brake setup as I removed the ABS ages ago. I am just bleeding the brakes again but wondered if anyone else had noticed this problem?

13. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

I asked seat for a price but I can't remember what it was, I know bill was cheaper but it's still a lot of money for what it is. I would never buy cheap on anything braking wise though.

Bully, have you upgraded to the Ibiza master cylinder?

14. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Hi bully,
    The Porsche calipers should have almost the same effective pot size as the g60 system if you get the right ones. Sure there isn't some air still trapped somewhere? Otherwise up size the master cylinder. I like how the ABS mk3 master feels. It's a 23mm item and fits the mk2 servo. You do need to adapt to m12 fitment unions though.

Gurds

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  15. bully Forum Member

There is a good chance of some air still being in the system as I have always had to pressure bleed mine to get it 100% however i have had custom tanks made and haven't been able to get another cap to be able to use. I have sorted this though now so will try again this week.

I was always wondering about upgrading the master cylinder but could never find any info on this. What MK3 is the master cylinder from you mention above?

These are my 305x28 Ibiza Cupra R disks elyptically grooved from Badger 5.

[​IMG]

16. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Looking good Bully. Should stop well methinks.

The master cylinder is pretty much any mk3 with ABS but I tend to buy them from a VR6 or GTi to be sure. It's a 23mm item that reduces the pedal travel significantly. The unit can be identified easily as it's an alloy unit with only 2x M12 outputs and a clip on reservoir.

Here is the correct item:

[​IMG]

Buying 2nd hand ensures you get a reservoir with it although the mk2/G60 bottle also fits albeit without the clip.

Do not buy a non-ABS item as these are the same as your current mk2/G60 22mm one.

Benefits:
    - Direct fit to mk2 servo. No brackets required.
    - Better pedal feel and shorter stroke.

Problems:
    - Required the brake line ends to be swapped from m10 to m12 or make up some adapters.
    - Brake pedal height may change in the car.

Gurds

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  17. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

The above is also fitted to the 6K Polo Classic having bought one recently.

The adapters are are actually M12 to M10.

18. bully Forum Member

Cheers guys. I will get one bought this week. Hoping for dry weather so I can test my rallye as I haven't been able to use it since mapping.

19. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

My bad. Corrected above.

20. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

Gurds, are those MCs similar to the 23mm Ibiza Cupra R ones? The Ibiza ones require a spacer, do these?