What classifies an engine as COMPLETE?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by The Mann, Oct 27, 2003.

1. The Mann Forum Member

Can somebody please give a quick list of things i need to ask for/check if it has, for an engine ive seen for sale. It doesnt come with gearbox I know that, and the guy sounds like he is trying to get me to use as many orginal components in my golf as possible bla bla bla, when I basically wat to just swap accross the engine in its entireity. So...2ltr 16 valve 9A...what do I need to ask if it comes with - read NEED/SHOULD have...basic list would be grand.
    Many thanks.

2. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

The injection system would be a good start.

3. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Head, block, sump, manifolds, mounts, alternator, hoses, pas pump, pullys, belts, dizzy, plugs, leads, oil.....and more.

Thats what i would expect if described as complete.

4. Tommy Forum Member

Be aware though that if its going in your mk1 your gonna be better off running it on mk2 k-jet, so injection parts aernt gonna be so important...

5. GTI

GTI Forum Member

The only bit from the 9A that you need for this specific convertion is the block itself (excl. sump and head) with the oil cooler housing and crank case breather.
    Everything else can come from a Mk2 Golf 16v. Some parts are shared between the two cars, other parts are Golf only.

So, 9A:

Block
    Oil cooler housing
    Crank case breather

KR or 9A:

Sump
    Head
    Alternator (inc. brackets)
    Water pump
    Inlet manifold (the KR has a different bore to the 9A and there is debate about which is better)
    Camshafts (different again, the KR ones will give much more power that the 9A ones)

KR only:

Everything else normally used in a 16v convertion!!

I've probably forgotten something.

I've been doing a very similar convertion recently and have some comparative photos of the things your might be intrested in.

6. The Mann Forum Member

Thank you kindly for your help. WOuld appreciate the photos yes. I think Ill get back to the guy then and ask about the engine. I take it gearbox's are fairly easy to pick up then as well.
    Cheers

7. GTI

GTI Forum Member

let me know which bits you want to see! ;)

8. chrismc Forum Junkie

Cam wise you are definitely going to want a KR (mk2 16v) inlet cam. I believe the exhaust cams are the same for KR/9A so no need to change that ;)

Alternatively use a KR head complete!

9. GTI

GTI Forum Member

the kr and 9a have different chain wheels, so its best to swap them together as a pair.

if you take the head off it may need skimming, and given that the 9a is higher compression anyway, a skimmed head will only increase the already heightened chance of pinking.

10. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

For info, the really late KR engines have the rounded chainwheels too. I swapped both cams in mine as they came out of my '87 16v (jagged type chainwheels)