What gearbox to go for

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Paul wifey hughes, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Paul wifey hughes New Member

Hi Im going to be fitting a synchro Haldex conversion on my golf Im running a agu engine with ko4 turbo what 6 speed gearbox should I use an o2m ? what mods do I need to do to fit it Ive seen you can get a fabbed g/box mount what else do I need to do I was told I need different shafts is there any that will bolt on thanks in advance Paul :thumbup:

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

You match gearboxes based on desired vehicle acceleration, vehicle weight, gearbox durablity, engine torque curve and engine rpm at cruise.
    It is a topic that needs to be known well in advance of purchase.
    The choice between various 02J/C or 02M/Q then follows, then modifications to integrate.

3. Paul wifey hughes New Member

Hi Im not wanting to build a drag strip car just a nice road car that can be driven in anger from time to time Im buying a synchro boot floor , tunnel, complete rear beam and some Haldex conversion brackets of Carey on here at the end of the month Im just trying to work out what g/box I need, been told if I use o2m box I will need mk4 golf hollow shafts shortened and Ill need a different clutch and flywheel Ive seen a g/box mount to fit is there any other mods needed as I know the knowledge on here is great as this conversion has been done before

4. Toyotec

You were asking this on the 20VT FB page also today.

You need a 02M 8N TT or 8L S3 gearbox and transfer case, modified CV shafts, a DMF with A Sachs SRE clutch disc.

Hotgolf (Martin Emment) is excellent with rebuilding these and badger 5 can supply the clutch.

5. Paul wifey hughes New Member

Thanks yeah spoke to badger 5 about what clutch flywheel set up to use after speaking with Martin emment is there anyone on here that mods the front driveshafts

6. Paul wifey hughes New Member

I have just been looking at clutch kits on eBay I see there is a kit to convert from dmf set up is it worth doing that or not

7. Toyotec

I ran a DMF + a SRE clutch from badger 5 and a stock clutch cover on my 8L S3 at 330bhp.
    Badger 5 can advise on this.

8. Paul wifey hughes New Member

If I use the o2m gearbox what gearstick should I use in a syncro tunnel thanks in advance

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

a 6n polo 02j gear shifter is a straight fit to a syncro tunnel, also found on caddy van and ibiza/cordoba/toledo/inca. Look for ones with TDI and 20v engines, and you can get them on the lupo too with tdi and 1.6 GTI engine.

the 02m cables will swap to the polo unit if you need to, the lengths on them are a bit different to the 5 speed ones. worth having a few cables to experiment with mind

10. bazoldskoolmk2 Forum Member

Think my friend has an S3 gearbox laying. PM if useful.

11. Toyotec

The same shifter that came with the box.

Make sure you get all the brackets with it also.