What gearbox will fit Vr6 motor??

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by jammybobblehead, Jun 10, 2010.

1. jammybobblehead Forum Member

Last night my gearbox decided to implode then make a massive hole in the gearbox case....[:^(]

i managed to tow it to my local garage that my mate owns but hes mainly into his jap cars[:s]

so now i need to find a replacement box for it...[8(]

im not clued up on the vr6s and have not had it long so what i need to know if anyone can help is can any other box fit the vr6 as the ones ive seen are mega high milage.

any gearbox codes or info would be great and much appreciated.

cheers guys :thumbup:

jams

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

gotta be a 6 pot one im afraid! bellhousing different to 4 pot.
    V5/r32 boxes may work as long as fwd. might even be able to convert 4wd to 2wd but not 100% sure on that one

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Gearbox code on the MK3 Golf VR6 is a CCM.

4. Benjo Forum Member

v5 (transverse) gearboxes will bolt up, & have slightly better ratios than the vr6 'boxes.

5. jammybobblehead Forum Member

Real help bud cheers!! ive found a v5 box out of a golf mk4 and its transverse is there any modding to do or will it go straight on? also what clutch would i use and flywheel would i use the v5 or vr6 clutch.

thanks again pal.:thumbup:

jams

6. Benjo Forum Member

I suggest you stick with the vr6 clutch & flywheel, as the v5 flywheel is a dual-mass jobbie. Off the top of my head, the only parts that will require modifying are threaded holes which will require drilling out. These are:

1) the two holes on top of the gearbox casing that the long u-section gearbox mount bracket bolts to
    2) the hole in the bellhousing above the upper starter motor bolt hole

And possibly
    3) the holes that the long starter bolts run through

If you wish to retain the existing 02A shifter box & cables, you'll also need to swap over the 02A shift tower to the 02J V5 box. Most people however fit the complete shifter setup from the mk4 as it has a nicer action.

Before you part with any money, it's also worth checking the output (drive) flange diameters of both boxes to make sure your drive shafts will bolt up afterwards.

I know all this because I read the build threads of a guy called foffa on the vortex. He turned a 10v V5 bora into a 700hp fwd turbo monster, & went through quite a lot of gearboxes in the beginning. Started off using the V5 box, then went to VR6, then a $$$$$$ quaife with cryogenically treated gears, & finally an R32 02M.
    I tried to find the build thread for you so you could check the specifics, but since Vortex moved they haven't reinstated all of their old threads yet.
    I've got a pair of v5 motors sitting out in the workshop at the moment, along with a gearbox, mk4 shift linkage etc. So if you need any measurements etc let me know.
    Basically speaking though, a V5 block is pretty much identical to a VR6 block, just with a cylinder missing off the end :)

7. jammybobblehead Forum Member

V5 box picked up this morning with 62 thousand on it and it looks just the job!! very little tinkering to fit i recon... also got the shifter box and cables from the v5 and the driveshafts look like they will just bolt up if not i will just mod the cups.

masterslave also looks like it will just swap over from the vr6 to the v5 as the v5s a plastic jobbie.

thanks benjo top guy!!!:thumbup:

let you know how i get on.

jams

8. Benjo Forum Member

Cool, hopefully it all works out ok! I'll definitely be interested to hear what your thoughts are on the real-world (if any!) difference between the V5 & VR6 ratios, as I don't know of anyone who's done this swap. Plus, I've got to help a mate swap change the clutch, fit lightened flywheel etc on his corrado vr6 soon. Might be worth sticking a V5 box in at the same time :thumbup:

9. veedubdave

veedubdave Forum Member

how did you get on with the v5 box jams?
    about to try the same thing!

10. jammybobblehead Forum Member

Gearbox is near as dam it the same bolts straight on fairly straight forward... you just need to swap speed sender and adapt reverse sensor on the v5 box as that is slightly different.

only thing im struggling with is the cups for the drive shafts are different wont bolt up as the v5 are bigger cups!! was planning on swapping the vr6 ones onto the v5 box but its really not happening so gonna have to try and get hold of some v5 drive shafts and swap the bit that bolts uo to the cups.

any info off anyone who knows exactly what i need would be good as im sorta wandering in the dark as the v5s have alot of different cups on various models as i found out today.

heard someone has done this before on another forum.

cheers guys jammy.... veedub dave once i get it sorted i will give you heads up on exactly what you will need and what to do to sort it.

11. veedubdave

veedubdave Forum Member

What size are the cups on your v5 box? Mine are 110 mm.

12. jammybobblehead Forum Member

Sorted... will get you a size for the cup size off the v5 but they are about 4-5 mm bigger than the vr6 and the holes are different to mount.

the v5 ends that are normally on the v5 driveshafts wont go on the vr6 driveshafts.[:^(]

the v5 is a bolted in cup and vr6 is a push in...

rung a local vw place called "only vws" in blackburn and he said the shafts off an older tdi will fit in the v5 box and also mount up to the vr6 driveshafts!!! this guy is seriously clued up!!! winner..:thumbup:

so they cost me 30 for the pair of driveshaft ends.

got back and they fitted straight in and sat the same as the vr ones would have.

will let you know how i get on early next week but it should be fairly straight forward now.

make sure you change the shifter box and cables coz they feel miles tighter!!!

easier in the long run bit of fettling exhaust off new holes need drilling but its in and feels like quality.

jams.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  13. veedubdave

veedubdave Forum Member

Thats good jams, found the v5 cups are 108mm not 110mm as i thought. Seems i have two options, swap the cups to 100mm if i can fine something that will fit - have a couple for different mk2 boxes 8 and 16v and vr auto box so may be lucky with one of those but will have to have a look or get hold of some 108 mk3 inner cv's - any ideas what diesel they came from?
    Got all the linkages and shift tower from the mk4 to go in mine - as you say the mk4 is a much more presice action. good luck, keep us updated.

14. jammybobblehead Forum Member

Give the guy from only vws a bell... 01254 697988.

Hes a sound bloke and will tell you what you need exactly to get it all to work.

I was looking to put a vr6 in my mk2 but seemed alot of work!! after all spent way too much on the 16v lump in there!! i put a omex mappable ignition with venier pulley and they have been nothing but hastle so gonna go back to standard ecu and pulley.

youll have to let me know how you get on... jams :thumbup:

15. jammybobblehead Forum Member

All systems go!!! Miles better gear wise... nice and precise!!

Feels like it gets the power down a lot better now?? Seems to build up a lot quicker.

Jams

16. veedubdave

veedubdave Forum Member

Nice one Jams.
    Will give your guy a call soon and see if i can find out what inner cv's he supplied you.

17. Benjo Forum Member

cheers for the feedback, Jams. Will you be taking it down a drag strip at any point in the future? Would be interesting to see what it's like compared to a normal mk2 vr...

18. jammybobblehead Forum Member

I hope to have a do on the strip!!! its so good on pick up now even mid range when your just plodding along and you plant your foot it just go's.

Very, very happy with how it feels now!! i would advise anyone to put the v5 gubbins in when there vr6 box packs in... not lost anything really on final drive either just revs higher in fifth.

chopped the gear stick down so its stubby and feels like a quick shift box.

jams

19. orangecruz Forum Member

Sounds nice jams. Bet it feels real different to drive now

20. dub-ha8 Forum Member

Hi, I'm looking at fitting a V5 gearbox to my VR and have a few questions if you don't mind[:$]

Did you use the VR6 starter motor or the V5 one and from reading the thread you changed the inner CV's instead of changing the gearbox flanges?

Many thanks:)