What tools for...

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by oldnick, Sep 16, 2021.

1. oldnick

oldnick Paid Member Paid Member

Morning all, I'm hopefully off to get a complete rear axle from a 2003 Polo SE 1390 BBY 5 door hatchback, what range of tools will I need?

Just the usual hex sockets and spanners or is there a surprise waiting for me?

Hopefully I'll be able to cut the beam ends off but that depends on my battery grinder lasting long enough.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if its just the ends you need forgo the effort of undoing it and just chop away. dont worry about precision when you';re in the scrappy just chop inboard of the beam ends at the thinnest point to save your battery. plus I'm sure they'll have grinders on site you can borrow or direct monkey at part you want lopping off

if you have one bring big hacksaw to finish off if you loose power :lol:

3. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Its reasonable to do with a hacksaw, metal is thinner than you think, but I have got yards to gas axe them off before.
    As @rubjonny says, hacksaw if no juice left.
    Could drop whole beam, I got an ibiza cupra one complete for 30 quid, discs, calipers stubs etc then chopped plates off at home.

4. oldnick

£30? You jammy ####er.
    Still, I got what I was after, I just wish I had taken a wheelbarrow to carry tools in and loot out.
    Alfred Looms is the friendliest scrapyard I've been to, and I found an unused VW widowmaker that doesn't weigh anything, so a good trip :)

Ps What is the round weight bolted to the handbrake cable bracket in aid of? Can I get rid or will I die as a result?

dodgy likes this.
  5. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Got two mk5 leather seats last trip, usual upside down on head and down back carrying method, but it was at farthest point of yard, twice, plus tools and other parts. Wheelbarrow would be a good thing to have.
    I couldn't physically lift the back seat was so heavy.

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

can get shot of the weight no bother

7. oldnick

Adding lightness FTW! Cheers Mr Rub