What weber carb for my Mk1 Driver?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by luke w, May 10, 2006.

1. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

I've replaced the engine in my Mk1 Driver with and engine from an 86 Polo Coupe S. The original carb on the both engines are not usable, so I want to convert it to a weber carb, but there seems to be different carbs listed Mk1 Golfs and Mk2 Polos.

I've seen a carb advertised for a Mk1 golf, a Weber 34 ICH, part number 15290.992. Will this fit?

2. mk1-Gaz Forum Member

the weber 34 ich is a single choke carb which replaces the single choke solex pic(t?). the polo being an 86 should have a twin choke pierburg 2e3 as standard for which the weber replacment is a 32 dmtr (twin choke).

either will work fine but it depends what manifold you have/are using? are you using the original mk1 manifold or the polo one?

I used to have a later 1300 (HK) in my mk1 driver. I used the HK twin choke manifold with a twin choke weber

3. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

Thanks for clearing that up for me:thumbup:

It's still got the Polo inlet manifold, so I guess I'm after a 32 dmtr. Were these standard it to any other cars? Done quick search on ebay and didn't bring anything up, are they quite hard to get hold off?

4. paulshears New Member

carb

my brothers mark 1 golf has a 1993 polo 1.3 AAV block & 5 speed box......and a 1990 golf 2 cylinder head (water heated inlet manifold).......then a weber 34 DMTR carb & K&N bolt on filter.......THE BONNET has to be wedged open at the rear to clear the Filter......just so you know :o

5. paulshears New Member

bonnet

[​IMG]
    like this