What's Up!

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by Zender Z20, Jun 20, 2022.

1. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers... VW play their cars very close to their chest when it comes to what jobs are actually done over and above the obvious like oil / filter at the various service intervals.

The interval timings themselves you can fathom out based on your mileage / driving habits, but the actual specifics are very grey... seems to boil down to them deciding 'what's needed' in their opinion.

Read an interesting point elsewhere that claimed the fixed VW service costs are a 'maximum chargable'. If for example they deemed you didn't need something you shouldn't be charged for it.

Showing my age and I understand things have moved on technology wise with long life plugs etc. but just doesn't seem right leaving plugs in for 4 years!

2. Zender Z20

Skoda do an under-seat tray for the Rapid that'll also fit Citigos etc.

It's advertised as for their 29cm umbrella to give you an idea of capacity.

Metal brackets slide in under the runners at both sides after removing the 2 x M10 XZN bolts, as simple as that.

Less than £15 each from a dealer and a good quality thing so put one under the drivers side also,
    though have seen them on eBay etc. for idiotic money.

Stays static as the seat moves back and forth and reminded me of the extinguisher holder for MK2's.

Standard issue 600g fire extinguisher with bracket fits a treat, plus you get to keep the original storage area.

This particular extinguishers bracket holes are in a shallow recess, I'd some plastic number plate screws / nuts that fitted in flush though I'd imagine if you used something else that sat proud you'd probably end up damaging the extinguishers finish, even it still fitted at all.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Cressa and dodgy like this.
  3. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

That's a nice addition.

How supportive are the seats?

4. Zender Z20

They're the exact same ones across the range so I was well used to what they'd be like having used the Citigo for years.

Very comfortable and plenty of adjustment... A sign of a good seat I think is not constantly feeling the need to fiddle with it every time you get in the car.

5. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Those arch liners look similar to the one I got for the MK2 with false underseal effect! I should probably buy some for the Citigo like you.

Talking of seats. Have you sussed how to get in the back without having to re-adjust the backrest/seat location? A minor bugbear and possibly my lack of knowledge. It's rarely done.

Re kids...The biscuit barrel empties quickly in our house, probably because there's always decent biscuits in it, Oaties, Tesco Choc Chip Digestives etc etc.
    I was saying how when I was a kid we'd mainly have Rich Tea and occasionally Bourbon's. Needless to say the RTs didn't go down too well. Kids are just spoilt nowadays :{)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  6. Zender Z20

Must be kismit!

Took the kiddos to see 'Bullet Train' last night, so three in the car for a change and did cross my mind getting out that if there's anything I'd change it'd be the passenger seat not returning to it's original spot... have to look into if it can be got around.

Have you done the back rest punch to the side of the head one yet, forget and use the tilt handle while your leaned into the car?

Apparently Subways chocolate chip cookies (when fresh and warm) are the bench mark by which all other biscuits are judged according to ours.

7. Zender Z20

Meant to say... yes I'd put money on them being the same thing as the MK2 ones you got.

They were sold as being the 'Blic' brand but there was another makers name moulded into them that I can't recall now, but they were made in Poland from recollection.

I suspect most, if not all, of these cheapy ones are from the same source.

Not pretty but do the exact same job as the vastly over priced real deal.

8. Zender Z20

'Florimex' are the makers and it is Poland...

9. Zender Z20

Fancied something sweet towards bedtime last night and there wasn't anything in the house I liked... popped down to the local 8-late for some sour pencils (ever had them then you'll know why they're well worth a drive for).

Couple of 'youfs' hanging about the door and one of them muttered, 'sick car ya aul ballacks'.

Ignoring the harsh ageism, that's not happened in a very long time and I've had a few nice motors over the years!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
  10. Zender Z20

Have been a convert to winter tyres for quite a few years now... if you haven't looked into them, would thoroughly recommend it.

Even though I got the Up! back in the summer, was thinking ahead and ordered some wheels and tyres in August.

Incredibly the wheels only arrived a week ago after a 4 month saga trying to get OZ to honour the order, but that's another story.

Plumped for 16"s rather than stick with the cars standard 17"s.

Main reason was the vastly increased choice of winter tyre in the smaller size, but I've also been gettinging really tired (no pun intended) of the crashy ride on the ultra low profile regular tyres.

Nice on good surfaces but I live out in the sticks and the roads mainly consist of large holes joined up by the odd patch of tarmac. Must look like I'm on my second bottle of Bacardi if you're following me as I dodge the craters.

What a difference more sensibly sized tyres make, might even move the bigger standard VW wheels on and get some summer 16"s in their place.

winters2.jpg

11. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

I have just enjoyed having a good read of your thread. Brilliant and informative as always. The car does look great

12. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Great to hear about the tires, you'd wonder what country they design these rubber band profiles for...

13. Zender Z20

Thanks... finally gave the original wheels a clean yesterday before storage.

When you sit them side by side with the 16"s there's surprisingly little discernible difference dimension wise, but aesthetically the winter set up looks smaller overall... just a trick of the eye I suppose, comparing completely different styles likely also plays a part

Be the first to admit the car does suit 17"s, but in the real world the low profile of the tyres is a case of looks winning over function.

It's easy to forget that those looks are however secondary to safety, and regardless of which you prefer, when the roads are cold / icy the difference is dramatic.

If you ever get a chance to drive a summer tyred car along side one on winters it'll shock you just how inadequate / dangerous the former are!

14. Zender Z20

Must have been tempting fate talking about the tyres... On a country road a few nights back and judging by the thump must've been a massive pothole.

Front and rear nearside punctures appeared when parked up a few hours later... one is to the side wall and tyre's now scrap, hopefully the rears fixable, will find out today.

Any wonder I hate driving nowadays!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2023
  15. Zender Z20

Unfixable... Two new tyres and 300 quid down the drain.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2023
  16. Zender Z20

There was an ebay auction a while ago for a stripped out Up! body shell (maybe still is?), found it interesting to see one pulled right back to it's bare bones and how little there really is to one once you take-away the bolt on bits and plastic panels.

Must've been scrapped for some reason, though doesn't look to have been bodily damaged to that extent?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

dodgy likes this.
  17. Zender Z20

Read a few weeks back VW are finally stopping production late December of this year (maybe already have by the time I write this).

Also read, but not sure it's correct, that they'd previously temporarily suspended taking GTI orders almost a year ago in January '23 to allow back orders to be fulfilled, however they never recommenced taking them again.

Wonder if they'll have a run out model... saying as it's to be no more they could call it the 'Tits' Up?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2023