Which gearbox for MK2 1.8T conversion?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Oliver1, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Oliver1 New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of doing a 1.8T swap into my MK2 Golf. I've done a lot of research into what i'm going to need for the conversion but am having problems with what gear box I need to source. I keep being told conflicting information as to what box I need.

If anyone on here has done the conversion or can give me an answer as to what box I need to source and any other transmission parts i'll need etc, i'd be very grateful.

Thanks again

Oliver

2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

A Mk3 Golf 16v/Corrado 16v/G60 is what you want. Known as the `02A`.

Your Mk2 driveshafts will bolt straight on no problem, and with Mk3 or G60 mounts, it`ll fit on your Mk2 subframe too.

Where have you been doing your research? All you need to know is on here...just a click of the search button away... ;)

Virgil Vincent likes this.
  3. Oliver1 New Member

Thanks StuMc. I was getting quite confused by hearing about things like changing to a cable change box etc, I believe someone suggested the o2J gearbox?

Im converting my MK2 Driver so will the drive shafts be up to the job or are they the same as found on a GTI? I'm looking to get some G60 mounts but will get them once i've sent my subframe etc to be powder coated.

I've got a lot of info on the conversion from the QPENG but have found there information on transmission to be a bit vague.

Cheers

4. StuMc

The 02A is a cable change `box... ;)

The 02J is from the Mk4 platform. The mounts are totally different, and some fabrication would be required to get it mounted properly.

Converting to cable shift is really simple. The Mk3 shifter can be easily modified to fit in the Mk2 tunnel. (There`s also a thread somewhere here that detais how the Mk3 shifter internals can be fitted into a Polo(?) unit to allow direct fitment.

Not sure on your driveshafts, but certainly GTI ones would be fine.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  5. aidanb22 Forum Member

02j is the mk4 5 speed, 02m is the 6 speed

6. StuMc

That`s what I meant to put, but a*sed it up! [:$] :lol:

Edited now. :thumbup:

7. HidRo Forum Member

To fit the 02J you just need to have a 02A gearbox mount support. No fabrication needed.
    The early 02J will have the 100mm cups so it will be a direct fit for the mk2 axles.

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the driveshafts depend on what driver engine it is, if 1.8 they are same as GTI ones, if 1.6 you need to swap for 1.8 8v/16v ones.

the reference to 02j might be for the shift tower and shifter, the later MK4 ones are a better design on the cable ends, plus you can then fit a TT short shift/weight

9. Oliver1 New Member

My Driver is (was) a 1.6 so it looks like i'll have to source some GTI drive shafts. I have some Corrado G60 hubs for a 280mm brake conversion, will drive shafts of the MK3 GTI fit these hubs?

So, if was to install the O2A box then i'll need the box and everything back to and including the shifter?

In your opinions, what box is the best to fit, do they each have their advantages / disadvantages?

Thanks again

10. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

mk3 shafts are no good as they're too long, so unless you also go wide track they are unsuitable. also mk3 outer cvs wont fit corrado g60 hubs, so you'll need to swap them for mk2 gti items.

dont think theres realy much in it between 02a and 02j really, except 02j is going to be newer. with the 02a you can still use the later MK4 shifter if you also fit the matching shift tower to the box. alternatively can use all 02a stuff and spend a bit of tiume fixing up the bushes, various kits about that improve them.

11. Dwaynepowley6969 New Member

Hello Jonny spoke to you recently on another thread but. Is there a certain model car I need the 02a box out of as I'm not to sure if I missed the info on that part ?

12. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Hi Dwaynepowley6969.

Can you explain the problem for the benefit for the rest of our readers and contributors please?

13. Dwaynepowley6969 New Member

I'm trying to work out what I need for the 1.8t conversion to a mk2 golf I've been reading up on threads and not sure what make and model 02a box is best out of as I may have missed what car it's best out of.i don't want to go hydro im trying to learn all the parts needed and codes witch im new to so maybe my question are Ameture at its best I search for hours and read and will keep reading till I understand what I need. Sorry for the long reply

14. Toyotec

Morning.

Where was it written it has to be an 02A?

There is no way of answering what is the 'best gearbox'.

Without knowing your car or what you require, in terms of fit, the process for fitting an 02J is the largely the same and an 1.8T comes with an 02J as standard.

You can use a MK3 16v CDA/DPA code 02A as well as they run the same FDR and gear spacings as some 02J 1.8T gearboxes and come with 100mm cups as standard.

In general you need.

The gearbox complete ready to run on 100mm flanges to match GTI inner CV flanges.
    Cable change shifter mechanisms, MK3 Golf, Corrado, Or MK4 depending on the gearbox shift tower.
    Cable ends depending on shift tower.
    Hydraulic clutch slave, clutch lines and master cylinder.
    Alternatively, Seat mechanical clutch actuator, MK2 1.3 clutch cable, custom clutch cable adjustment bracket to allow the use of the reverse light switch
    Corrado front engine/gearbox bracket if MK2 engine mounts are fitted
    MK3 16v, Corrado G60, flywheel and clutch.
    M7 clutch cover bolts.
    Flywheel bolts.

For the shifter mounting, if in the original position, is dependant on the shifter you use. If it is a MK4 type, you need to cut out the bracket that is used to bolt the MK2 Rod shifter. Some mods needed needed for the covers inside the car.

That is a very high level summary.

15. Dwaynepowley6969 New Member

Thanks for your reply mate big help

16. Toyotec

No problem.
    Give us some feedback when you get it all fitted.