Which Polo for my mum - advice please!

Discussion in 'Fox/Lupo/Polo' started by G-Man, Nov 18, 2006.

1. G-Man Forum Junkie

My mum is finally getting rid of her nasty Ford Fiesta for a good old VW Polo. However the price bracket of between 4-5k gives us some choices between a mk4.5 Polo and the mk5

Which one's from people who have owned one or know more about these cars will be best suited for my mum. I know the Mk5 is bigger, but is it better/more reliable?

Pics as below:

MK4.5

[​IMG]

MK5

[​IMG]

If anyone could give me a reason which one is a better car (i.e. better to drive and more reliable) and state reasons, that would be great! :)

2. AndrewF Forum Addict

First one is mk5 (6n2), second one is mk6 (9n) ;)

mk5 looks better

3. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

mk5 looks better, i've never driven one but i've driven a 1.4 mk6 and i thought it was really tacky inside, gerachange was horrible, had some go but it just felt so cheap and not too good to drive. it was a hire car and probbaly ragged within an inch of it's life, but still.......

4. paul_c Forum Member

How long is she planning to keep it for?

5. G-Man Forum Junkie

For some time! My parents don't change cars very often! So basically we've found a few 02 platers with around 40k for around 4000.

Not bothered about the engine power really, 1.2 (65hp) should be enough to be honest.

6. nealey Forum Junkie

personally i would say that the mk5 polo would be the better car out of the two, look so much better both inside and out and nicer to drive to

7. paul_c Forum Member

Go for the newer car then, if you're going to keep it for longer. If your mum was only keeping it for a couple of years, the newer car would have lost more value. But if its over a longer time, they'll both depreciate to around the same, eventually.

8. G-Man Forum Junkie

The early mk5 polo's have depreciated quite a bit really, which seems to be good value for money! However some of the basic models are really poorly spec'd! Will have to look around!

9. GTILass Forum Member

im glad someon said that!!

the smaller engine ones have yea

personally id go for the 5 but a 1.4 16v ? i think they do that in my shape? [:s]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2006
  10. G-Man Forum Junkie

Yeah your shape comes with a 1.4 16v 75hp, a 1.4 16v 100hp and then the GTI's.

But the 100hp 1.4's are rare i think.

11. Claypole Forum Junkie

One of these and go on a bender with the change. :lol:

[​IMG]

My sister has one of the newer ones and it's ****e, nice and fancy clocks/cupholders but the build quality is **** poor. It's done just over 20K and the head's ****ed.... frankly shoddy... [:x]

12. G-Man Forum Junkie

I've been in a newer one, but I get a feeling its not as solid inside as the older models.

Well dad did suggest a Skoda Fabia, but mum won't have one! :lol:

13. AndrewF Forum Addict

well, tbh, i went in a friends mk6 the other week and it seemed perfect.

my ex's mk4 has developed a lot of rattles (in the door area for some reason!), another ex's mk4 has a few issues despite being low mileage, and a mates sis mk4 is rusting badly in arch area.....now, as mk5 is basically a facelifted mk4 is it not likely to have same issues?

14. Claypole Forum Junkie

MK4's all have rusty arches. [:D]

Both mine have (my dad has my old one). The rear arch in the one in my photo was rusty but it's not too bad now it was fixed.

15. G-Man Forum Junkie

I found the mk5 is not merely a facelifted mk4. It has a totally different dash, doorcards, interior which I found to have a less tacky feel than the mk6. Its hard to explain, but in the mk6 I kinda felt that it wasn't as quiet as my mates mk5.

After some more looking, I think might encourage my mum to get a mk5 1.4 16v with some creature comforts rather than a mk6 1.2 basic spec.

16. SPERMBANK

SPERMBANK Forum Member

agree!
    Trust me, if i was looking for my mum, id want a safe car, i did this to mine
    [​IMG]
    And walked out pretty much fine!
    Safe car, good air bag!
    Cheap enough to not spend a fortune on a tidy one, and if you take care of it, it will last for ever! (unless you do what i did!)

Spermbank ;)

17. kerrly Forum Member

i much rather the earlier style, had a mk4 a R reg, it was my brothers 1st car a 1.0L but it was fantastic, so reliable and much better built than anything else i had driven at the time...

The later version of the mk4 6n with the sqaure lights does look a hell of a lot better to, and another bonus is parts are becoming very accesible due to the age of the car. Usually people say get newest car you can afford but on this one, id rather the older version even though tad slow. a 1.4 is only maginal quicker than a 1.0 oh and the insurance difference is nowt either. A GTI polo is a sound investment - look at GTI LASS for inspiration- wouldnt mind if my mum drove one of those ... id blag it lol

18. GTILass Forum Member

no rust on mine, nor do i have rattles

it feels a very solid car tbh, i have all the creature comforts of my mums mark 4 gti and it looks pretty cool in the dark when the dash lights up :lol:

bless Kerrly thanks - my mum uses her alot and i have to say im happier her speeding round in this than i was my saxo tbh

Last edited: Nov 20, 2006
  19. eamon1.3 Forum Member

If it was me id get a mk4, go for buttons and are great cars, never had any bother with ours over the last 7 years. Though if she wants more creature comforts the mk5 would probably be higher speced, still the same car at heart though!

20. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

A rental company near me uses both models of Polo, and I've found the Mk6s always have little problems, like trim falling off or electric windows not working. None of the Mk5s have ever had any problems, and although the interior looks a bit more dated, it feels a lot more solid.