Will this oil b ok ?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by jprocter, Oct 24, 2003.

1. jprocter Forum Member

Just got some oil cheap (castrol gtx 15-40) for a 1.6 driver (mk2) will this b ok for it?

Also gunna do oil filter and air filter, are halfords ones ok or shud i get Vag stuff.

Cheers

2. smithy Forum Member

Thats what I use all the time. I change it regularly. Use VAG oil filters.

3. doughnuts Forum Member

Is that cheap oil??
    they have some in asda for about 5

4. jprocter Forum Member

Have it cheap at marcro at the moment. Right so a vag filter it is. Do i need to change sump plug and washer (as i didnt last time and its didnt leak). What about air filter (halfords, Vag, or K&n)

Cheers

5. smithy Forum Member

Im running a K&N panel filter, no complaints. I would advise that you re-new the copper washer, its not make or break though. I've only changed mine once and its never leaked.

6. jprocter Forum Member

What diffence does the panel filter make (noise, performance) also what else do u do on ur services? (have just changed fuel filter)

Cheers

7. The Other Simon Forum Member

Castrol is good oil. Quantum is as good and often cheaper.

Use VW oil filters. They cost the same as Halford ones (or lees the last time a looked) and are much better qaulity. They are also cheaper than ECP and GSF.

Use a known brand air filter. A clean air filter will make more performace difference than anyhting you'll see from a K&N. You only will see the difference from a K&N after you have fast cams, performance exhaust. That said, they are good quality filters - but I use VW ones.

You don't need a new sump plug unless it has died. A new washer is a good idea (for 10p).

In general VW service parts are now pretty much the same price as Halfords/GSF/ECP, and are much better quality.

Simon.

8. Golden Forum Junkie

I wouldn't put Castrol in a lawnmower.......