Window rattle fix without replacing regulators (cheap, easy)

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Joe_Pineapples, Mar 20, 2022.

1. Joe_Pineapples Paid Member Paid Member

Welcome to tonight's installment of how to fix your rattling mk3 Windows, sponsored by big cable tie

Car is a 3dr Gti but I'm fairly certain will apply to other mk3 models too, and possibly mk2's also

I got fed up of constant rattling from my drivers window whenever it wasn't fully open or closed, and suspected that a bolt had probably come loose that fastens the window onto the regulator, so removed the door card and seal to have a look. I've enough rattles in this car quite frankly and this one was at the top of the list to sort (after sorting the rear caliper that was halfway to falling off, but we won't mention that one here will we...)

It turns out that the bolts were nice and tight, and that the rattle was coming from 2x plastic parts that hold the bottom of the window with pinch bolts and slide up and down against the 2 metal guides on the regulator, one near the front and one close to the middle of the door - these plastic parts have two arms that wrap around the metal guides and face towards the inside of the vehicle, and they may have either worn down or lost some of their springiness (is that even a word?). In any case, when moving the window side to side whilst halfway down there was a good few mm of movement between the plastic sliders and the metal guides that clearly wasn't supposed to be there, causing the rattle.

I'm a stingy Yorkshireman and not the sort to replace a window regulator if I don't have to (car only cost me £240 in 2004 so I'm loathe to spend £30 or so on a new regulator ;))

I stared at it for a while over a beer coming up with daft suggestions and then my mate took a minute off from doing something far more technical, wandered over and suggested just using some cable ties around the worn plastic arms to repack them. Genius. cable ties slid in nicely and secured up well when tightened.

4 cable ties, a little grease on the mating edge of the metal guides, and job done, quiet windows!

Have included photos of cable tie installation, obviously cut the tails off the cable ties before putting the door seal and card back on. Cable ties are basically captive in this location and if done up tight so I'd say there's no chance of them coming off, and it's cheaper and easier than a new regulator. I used some posh suspension fork grease from MTB on the metal guides as I had some to hand but I suspect anything from simple white grease to lithium grease would work (there wasn't any grease on those bits in the first place btw but it can't hurt to have smoother windows)

Not exactly the most pressing of concerns and neither the most impressive fix, but if it helps someone...

20220320_181107.jpg 20220320_181117.jpg 20220320_181123.jpg

dodgy likes this.