Window seals mk3.5

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Anj, Nov 1, 2022.

1. Anj

Anj Paid Member Paid Member

Hi guys,

I’m hoping someone can help me, my outer door scraper on the drivers door is leaking like hell. And loads of water in the footwell.
    It seems to pour out the bottom of the door and over the door seal, then into the car. Any advice or does anyone know where I can get one? I think the number is 1B0837477 (B41) my local tps won’t speak to me as I don’t have a trade account.

cheers

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

check the membrane behind the door card, thats what keeps the water out not the outer scraper

3. Anj

Thanks, I have had a look at both. Started to make membrane but I see conflicting info about whether the bottom should be inside the door shell to divert to the drain holes?
    I had never seen a set up like that? Can you help?

4. rubjonny

originally its a single sheet, glued over the top. carefully done and with very good adhesiveso the drain holes at the bottom of the door are not blocked allowing any water that runs down and pools at the bottom to drain out. when you come back to it DIY this is hard to replicate so the easier way is make a 2nd sheet that tucks in all the way along at the bottom which then diverts the worst of the water into the bottom of the door then you put your top membrane over it

Anj likes this.
  5. Anj

Rubjonny, that really helpful. Thankyou.
    I have some vapour barrier plastic sheeting that we use at work and some really good glues. So In an ideal world if I made a membrane that has a little upturned gutter to divert water to the drain holes and stop it from pooling at the bottom of the membrane against the door card then I should have half a chance?

6. rubjonny

yeah whatever works really, once you know the water is always going to get in just takes a little thought to get it right. oh and since its a mk3 what you would have had is a shaped foam backing not a thin foil, though VW wont sell you that any more you'll just get a roll of film from them now

7. Anj

Mines a 3.5 cabrio, there are remnants of the old membrane. Looks to have been the film type. I had a 98 mk3 5dr gti years ago and pretty sure that one had the foam one. Similar to what’s on the wife’s 120d.