Windows 10

Discussion in 'Computers and Consoles' started by MUSHY 16V, Sep 2, 2015.

1. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

who else has made the move to Windows 10 and what did you think

i'm just gad it's got rid of most of the windows 8 rubbish
    fare easier to find stuff now

2. blis Forum Member

My son upgraded, seems a lot better, havent used it myself.

3. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Upgraded my laptop, it's much better then W8.
    I'll be doing a clean install on my desktop soon.

4. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Never went to W8, stuck with W7.

Now I`ve gone to W10 and am finding it OK.

I only upgraded, but I plan to do a fresh install this weekend. It`s amazing how much `stuff` you accumulate over a couple of years installing / uninstalling bits and pieces isn`t it..

5. WillG

WillG Forum Member

I did the free upgrade from 7 to 10, then spent ages deleting all the rubbish that came along with it, cortana, apps, privacy issues. etc

Works alright so far, no real problems with any programs.

I still dislike that Windows are calling all programs "apps" now. [:x]

Nige likes this.
  6. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

All of you planning on a clean install, if you mean a REALLY clean install (i.e. boot from the CD or USB stick or whatever) then you'll need to install the upgrade first and make sure it's activated. Microsoft don't give you a product key which the boot CD will ask for. If you've previously activated it you can just skip the product key and it will re-activate again, otherwise you're out of luck. (Voice of experience and many wasted hours..)
    Oh, and the Nirsoft ProduKey software does seem to retrieve Windows 10 keys ok, which might be useful once you've installed it.

7. BenGould New Member

Had every previous version of windows over the years, even ME and Vista, 10 is by far the best yet.

Runs well, boots and loads programmes faster, very few compatibility issues (had some in the early stages of the beta but that is to be expected and mostly all ironed out now).

Cortana is "OK", much better than pre windows 8 search "function" and slightly better than the windows 8 search.

Privacy is the only thing that is a concern for me, there is a lot of tracking stuff going on in the background that I'm not overly happy with. Most of which can be turned off but it should be opt IN not opt OUT as standard. Unfortunately the world we live in nowadays, everything is going that way anyway.

Overall a very good experience and would recommend anyone that has a compatible version for the free upgrade to take the opportunity to do so.

It is also worth noting, IF you upgrade a major piece of hardware you will loose activation on the "free" upgrade version. It is tied to a hardware ID and only licensed for the original hardware you installed it on.

From my current experience,
    Hard drives, memory, dvd/blue ray drives, network/sound cards, video cards etc DON'T cause it to loose activation.
    Motherboard WILL
    Processor might - Haven't tried that yet.

This is the case for like for like swaps for warranty reasons as well as upgrades for performance reasons.

Ben

8. MUSHY 16V

it's only when I changed the motherboard i've had problems with activation in the past

everything else was changed at one time or another

you used to be able to phone them and activate over the phone in cases like that

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  9. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

I'm staying on 7 for the foreseeable, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do once it's no longer viable.

10. MUSHY 16V

I made that mistake sticking with vista
    But saying that windows 7 is still OK

Fare better than both vista or windows 8