Windscreen seal mk2 vs mk1

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by davidut5, Oct 3, 2020.

1. davidut5 Forum Member

So i had some rust under windscreen seal, the glass broke when removing, fitted a used one from a golf and reused my seal. I fear this combo may leak, and cannot find mk2 seal anywhere, but i see for older mk1 there are options!
    Can i use the mk1 seal?
    There was little rust anyway!

Attached Files:

2. H8V

h8v Forum Member

3. davidut5 Forum Member

Rejel are asking 57£ for shipping arriving in a week.
    Heritage is 20e shipping and the seal is 36e i think. Will try to find in my country, ill make some calls. Online did not find it.

4. davidut5 Forum Member

I got one locally, but i dont even know what brand it is, do you recognize this? The sellers ad was a febi brand, but those long gone now.
    I checked the driver floor and got water, so the old seal on another windscreen is leaking, or could be another place that could leak!

Attached Files:

5. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

The VW part number for a front windscreen is (unless I'm mistaken) 191-845-121, I don't see that number on your photos but that doesn't necessarily mean anything either.

If it's a Mk2 seal it should be fine.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  6. costel1969

Regarding the leak, apart from the windscreen seal are all the grommets in place in the bulkhead and in the floor. I had an Opel one time and one of the floor rubber grommets had managed to unseat itself slightly and it was letting water in on the front passenger side.

7. davidut5 Forum Member

There was some water before i replaced the windshield but it was old and smelly, now its fresh from rain. Apart from the hood latch cable what grommets are there on the driver side left?
    The drain holes under windshield are good. I will replace the seal and check after that. The heritage seal said top quality maybe i was better off with that!

8. costel1969

I’m not 100% sure David, I don’t believe there are that many (1/2 maybe) but worth having a check just to make sure they are there/secure
    Also is there any chance it’s the door seal or membrane behind the door card?
    That’s another potential suspect

9. davidut5 Forum Member

I had a mystery leak on a b5 passat, seam sealer on strut tower was cracked an rain got in on the seam, same, only on driver side.
    I have replaced all four door membranes, anyway water seems to leak on the firewall down.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  10. costel1969

What about behind the scuttle David - around blower housing etc. is that clean and free from leaves/debris etc? It hasn't happened to me but I do know of one Mk2 that started to rust and ultimately leak because of crud that had lodged in there.
    After that I'm starting to run out of ideas to be honest

11. davidut5 Forum Member

Problem is only on driver side, lets blame the windshield seal for now.
    Hope i dont brake the glass AGAIN! As i would like not to cut the old seal.

12. davidut5 Forum Member

All went well until i tested for leaks!:cry: Its leaking in the same place left lower corner. I will buy another seal from heritage, hope its top quality as they say!

Attached Files:

13. costel1969

Is it my imagination David or is that seal pulling away from the aperture? It doesn't look right to me based on the photos above

14. davidut5 Forum Member

It seats on apperture, just does not have correct angle.
    I have placed an order on heritage, could not help and get more stuff with total over 200e. There are more taxes now since UK is out of EU.
    Something like this:

Attached Files:

15. costel1969

Ok hopefully that one will be better - don't talk to me about car parts, if I didn't have older cars, I might actually be able to retire now but that's what we do.

16. davidut5 Forum Member

My order arrived, this one is looking much better, hope no problems on the car. Got some door window outer scrapers too, as mine are hard and got smaller plus other bits.
    My concern is that where the middle sealing lip sits on the body, as paint was not fully hardened got printed in the paint, hope it did not go to bare metal to have rust forming again.