Wiring for mirror lights

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by paulm2322, Dec 14, 2021.

1. paulm2322

paulm2322 Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,

I am going to attempt a headliner refurbishment sometime in future and have bought Mk3.5 sun visors with illumination.

Does anyone know how I can get these wired up so they work when the flap is opened? Assume it would be easier to do once the headliner is out.

Thanks,

Paul 97E1504F-B0FD-45AF-B443-2117B37EB2BE.jpeg 4C7AC35A-5B95-471B-9BCD-51CF44B6529E.jpeg

2. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

The wiring from a convertible wouldn't have been much use, in any case, but the seller could've given you a bit more than that..

The simplest way to connect these would be to tap a permanent '30' feed from the interior light (or sunroof) and add the Brown wire to the ground/earth '31' wire of the interior light. Basically in parallel with the interior/map reading lights. The roof wiring for the few hardtops with these has a branch for each side, which you have the very ends of. I'm not sure if you could see whether your car has them already, through the opening for the interior light/sunroof. Though I'd doubt it, I'm afraid.

paulm2322 likes this.
  3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

and thats exactly how vw did it as standard on the mk2 with illuminated visors ;)

paulm2322 likes this.
  4. paulm2322

[:D]Thank you Gents

5. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Could I suggest wiring them to the sidelamp circuit, the old galaxy and sharan used to singe the headlining due to the visor being lit when it shouldn't have been, think the switch played up on them and so it was a permanent illuminated mirror.

paulm2322 likes this.
  6. paulm2322

Thanks Dodgy,

Don’t suppose you have any instructions on how to do that have you?

Cheers,

Paul

7. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Run a supply up to the visors from the sidelamp/dash switch illumination circuit, not sure of the colour wire you can tap into, brown is the earth, but check the dash switches as they all have a sidelight supply to them , or wire them to the switched ignition side, then won't be on unless ignition is too.
    I'm sure @rubjonny can tell the wire colours, he is a genius.

paulm2322 likes this.
  8. rubjonny

green/grey on headlight switch for sidelight, ignition on look for the green, yellow or black jumper blocks above the fusebox pop into one of those

paulm2322 and dodgy like this.
  9. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

If you'd like to adopt either of those alternatives, dash lighting has an adaptor block (Grey), but it is subject to the brightness adjuster. The interior light usually has an ignition 'On' (15) supply, to by-pass the turn-off delay if the car's running. So does a sunroof, to enable (and illuminate) the control switch.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
    paulm2322 likes this.
  10. paulm2322

Thanks folks. I haven’t got around to fitting them yet. I will be removing headlining soon to refurbish so will sort wiring at the same time.

Cheers.

11. Ivan Miočević New Member

Hey respected Dougie, I saw that you understand window electrics.
    I have Golf 3 with manual windows and i want to convert them in el. windows.
    I have only door wires (no interior installation) so can i just connect them behind fuse box?
    I tried alredy connecting them to power and ground by looking at diagram and it kinda worked but i want to do evryting right, and to control passanger window from driver switch.
    I dont understand witch wire is for what. I seen blk/red wire goes to fusebox ce2 F/6, blk/whi to D/9, red/yel should go to Y/2 but i dont have that connection haha
    Can you please help me

12. Ivan Miočević New Member

13. rubjonny

Ivan Miočević likes this.
  14. Ivan Miočević New Member

I seen that when i was connecting climatronic from golf mk4 in my mk3 and it was easy, but there is not much about windows wires there only main power on Y/2 and window switch on D/12 witch i dont have but where does the rest of the wires go haha sorry its kinda confusing to me im no electrician so i need help

15. Ivan Miočević New Member

This diagram "g3elwindows...pdf" helped me but i still can figure it out like where is the connection between switches and where evry wire exactly goes

16. rubjonny

start here:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_...=sharing&resourcekey=0-BGQ-rA0AZJLGSl_aLzH-9A

may seem confusing at first but as long as its not all hacked up should be easy enough the looms are made to unplug and plug in easily :)

the switches are all in the door cards so you need the complete interior loom, plus the wiring from the doors as well. there are plugs in the big white round housings at the A pillars which joins the inside wiring to the doors

17. Ivan Miočević New Member

Yeah but i dont have interior connection from fuse box to the A pillar just door wires that is why i need to connect evry wire specially

18. Ivan Miočević New Member

Sorry for bothering you i will think of something thank you for the help :hug::thumbup:

19. rubjonny

you should get the interior loom to match, will save you a lot of effort. but if you follow the diagram you'll be fine, the D/9 wire goes to one of the junction blocks above the fusebox, Y is just a spade that plugs in at the top of the fusebox

20. Ivan Miočević New Member

What does numbers in little boxes mean at the end of the wires in diagram? Haha