Wont Start After Coolant Leak

Discussion in '8-valve' started by 02benjat, Feb 23, 2014.

1. 02benjat New Member

After taking my 91 8v for a drive earlier on arriving back at my house i noticed a bit of steam so stopped immediately to then find out as i got out the car that radiator coolant was pouring all over the floor! I opened the bonnet and saw that the coolant appeared to come from the top reservoir through the cap (which I am now suspicious I did not close tightly earlier in the day) A quick trip to halfrauds later I topped up the radiator to the specified levels but the car wont start. I bump started it briefly with a friend but regretted it when i smelt a slight acrid smell?! and turned the car off again quick!I was just wandering if anyone might be able to shed some light on the non starting issue ?

Thanks very much

Ben

2. Megaross Forum Member

Checked the water pump?

Any idea why it overheated in the first place?

3. 02benjat New Member

I think the blue cap on the coolant reservoir (?) was not tight and as the car got hot it escaped through that! I shall try and check the water pump when I get home tonight !! Thanks !!

4. WillG

WillG Forum Member

So it ran ok apart from a smell when it was bump started?

What happens when you turn the key?

5. 02benjat New Member

Yeh it Seemed to apart from the smell (although i only drove it for a minute of less! When I turn the key to the first click all the electrics start up as they should. And then when I turn key to start the engine I hear a click and then all the interior lights and things turn of until I stop turning the key and nothing further would happen? Im worried the car might have overheated when the coolant escaped and burnt something out ?

6. 02benjat New Member

All sorted now! Took it to my local old boys garage and they checked it over and found that the starter motor was buggered and my alternator was not earthed properlly so was not succesfully charging my battery ! Also they appear to have sorted a minor idling issue I had. Thanks for your help on here guys!!

7. WillG

WillG Forum Member