Would you say my ‘84 8v kjet GTI is running hot?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Rustbuster, Nov 2, 2021.

1. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

Hi volks,
    Picture below of my temp gauge running on an open road, on a cold-ish day (8degs C) with the heater on full. I think the temp is sitting on the high side as it indicates even hotter sitting in traffic. Fan operates normally. I’ve recently fitted a new Nissens radiator, new heater matrix, new genuine thermostat, new temp sender, new matrix hoses and coolant is super clean. I’ve also re-crimped a new spade connector onto wire that goes to temp sender. I’m thinking that the gauge is over-reading somehow, with the fault at the actual gauge in the dash? Grateful for any input, as always. 4EF755B7-5552-417F-AA24-EF250B52F1D3.jpeg

2. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

That position on the gauge does appear on the high side to me - you’ve replaced a lot of parts so I would be looking at the clocks/gauge at this stage.
    @NateS2 might be the man to advise/sort this out for you

Rustbuster likes this.
  3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

looks fine to me, bound to see some variance a little over or under with 30+ year old stuff. as long as fan cuts in as it should around 3/4 I wouldn't worry overly. whats the oil temp say

worth checking the cluster earth to the side of the head, brown/white ring terminal. make sure its got nice clean metal contact

Rustbuster likes this.
  4. Rustbuster

Yeah, oil temp’s fine. Runs at about 102-106 degs celsius on an open road. I’ll check that earth cluster though. Thanks guys.:thumbup:

5. pigbladder Forum Addict

try another sender if it bothers you , aftermarket ones can be rubbish

wouldnt bother me if its consistent , oil is good temps and the fan comes on /off

Rustbuster likes this.
  6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

with oil temps around the 100 degree mark then sounds fine, just accept the slightly over reading is your engines new normal. its not out all that much anyway so I'd not be fussed personally

Rustbuster likes this.
  7. Rustbuster

Cheers guys. Maybe try a different sender see if that alters anything. If not, as you say, I can live with it.