Wrong gearbox

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Sh3p, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Sh3p New Member

Hi all I recently bought a new engine a gear box for my mk2 golf. It wasn't till I bought it and got it home that I realised it's out of a Corrado and has a hydrolic gear box, so not my linkage is wrong. Other than a Corrado linkage is there any other linkage that would do the job I.e mk3 golf.

Cheers

Shep

2. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

What you have is an 02A gearbox with hydraulic clutch and cable shift, as opposed to the 020 gearbox which uses a clutch cable and rod shifter.

Fitting an 02A into the MK2 is a popular conversion and is pretty much regarded as a 'must' when upgrading the engine (e.g. 2.0 16V or G60) in the MK2. It does however require you to change to a cable shifter mechanism and hydraulic pedal box together with hydraulic cylinders, which does involve a degree of faffing about and modifying the bulkhead a bit. There are many guides and threads on here about this. As you're swapping the engine anyway which gives you a good opportunity to attack the bulkhead while it's out, you might want to seriously consider biting the bullet and sourcing an appropriate pedal box and shifter and get it all done.

I believe there's an alternative, which is to use some kind of mechanism from a Seat that allows you to use an 02A without doing the whole conversion route, but personally I've only experience of doing the full hydraulic conversion as above.

Or alternatively you take the risk of using your existing 020.

Nige likes this.
  3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

seat cable kit:
    http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?107068

the mk3 gearstick and cables are the same as what the corrado has so will do you fine.

you can use the mk4 02j shifter setup on these too, the later version is the one to get as its an upgrade over the 02a stuff. the early one is pretty much the same so no point. you'll need everything though stick, cables and shifter tower for the box. you may also have to swap the lower tower bearing too depending on the age of the gearbox, its the one underneath with the big vw logo held on with 2 bolts. if in doubt just grab it anyway, cant go wrong then.

Trev16v likes this.
  4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

What MK2? A GTI 8v, a GTI 16v, a car with a larger more power engine than stock?

Please advise and you can be give tips as appropriate.

5. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

A bit late, but have you sorted this. Personally I'd avoid the hassle and stick with the 020 if your engine/funds allow. For the price of a decent clutch and flywheel you could buy another 020 box.

Toyotec likes this.