www.thediygroup.com is dead... but try www.BrokeVW.com

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Broke, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Broke Forum Member

I've been getting a bunch of emails and IMs asking about the DIY pages....the owner of the domain they were hosted on got burned by another Vortex member, and it ****ed him off enough to pull everything from www.thediygroup.com

I wasn't terribly worried, as I had saved all of the .html files and pics on a CD. Of course, that has been lost[:x] [8(]

I've gone through Yahoo and Google, looking at the Cached versions of the pages they have (which is just text, no pics), and I was able to find nearly all of the 020 pages in Cached version, no pics, and now molested with even more ads. I saved the Source to my HDD, and with that, I can strip the ad code out, copy the text I originally wrote, whatever....but the text is saved now, but buried in .html code.

The pics I think were also saved on pic backup CDs, and I think I have them, at least quite a few. I'm not sure if ALL of the pics for ALL of the pages are available, but I think I have most of them.

I've gotten offers for space from other people, up to 25MB, but I'm not sure if I'll just buy a domain and space or what....but it'll be some time before I am able to get all of the pages built again.

I posted a thread in the MK2 forum at Vortex, asking about some space because I wanted to host them, and the mod crazyreesie killed the thread in minutes, she said it didn't belong there...the b!tch.[:x]

Anyway, that's what happened to the pages, I'll get them sorted as soon as I can.

Broke

Last edited: Jul 12, 2006
  2. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Damn that`s bad news mate, I was just looking at the rebuild pics the other day!

I`ve saved the opening the 020 pages (4 of them), if you want me to e-mail them I can do? atlasgrey"at"aol.com.

3. Broke Forum Member

Ta, but I think I have those pages covered now, I've found a good chunk of the pics, at least on the rebuild and teardown pages. If I need them though, I'll hit you up:thumbup:

Broke

4. funkbaron Forum Junkie

bad news, i'm buying another gearbox just to strip and rebuild, and was depending on your DIY guide...any ideas when you might have something up and running again, or did anybody save the bulk of it?

5. rupe Forum Member

Yup it is bad news I was looking for something on it earlier and it would'nt work, now I know why. I like keith saved a few pages[:$] i've got the 020 strip down and rebuild saved as mhtml files so they have words and pics and have "5th change" and "020 release bearing" should you need any of it to get it back up.:thumbup:

6. Broke Forum Member

Thanks lads, I may be posting to ask for missing parts here in the future.
    It'll be back up shortly, I went ahead and bought a domain name and web host from 1&1.com. It should do the trick I think, $2.99 a month, 5GB space, 250GB xfer/mth, works with FrontPage.... so I am waiting on it to get started, I just ordered it tonight, and then I'll find some time to get the pages built again and hosted.

On the subject.... how do I save an entire web page, OR, when I save an entire webpage by making it "available offline", where does it store all of that saved data?[:$]

Broke

7. rupe Forum Member

If using internet explorer click file>save as> I usually select to save it as a web archive(.mht) as this saves all text and pictures as one file. Or you can save it as web page where it saves the html file and puts all the pictures in a folder.

If you saved it by making available offline then you'll find the files in the temporary internet files folder. Goto tools>internet options>temporary internet files>settings>view files.

8. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I can`t beleive the bloke pulled the site completely without letting you save your work first, that`s out of order IMHO. Good look with getting the new one back up again!

9. Broke Forum Member

Awesome, thanks, it'll come in handy if I lose more CDs:p

Oh, he told me well in advance that he wanted to just close the whole thing and asked me a couple times if I had it saved.... I didn't really think he would actually get rid of all of it, and was just mad at the time, and I also knew I had it on a CD:lol:

Broke

10. Broke Forum Member

11. oak8vgti Forum Member

Top job mate, thanks for the good work

12. Unknown Forum Junkie

13. PaulM Forum Member

Nice one mate, the information and pictures on your old site helped me so much when changing my gearbox for the first time:clap: . Thank you