Xflow (ABA) DCOE inlet manifold

Discussion in '8-valve' started by drunkenalan, Nov 9, 2013.

1. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

Ok guys i'm looking to see if I can find an off the shelf one??

I know Rowland list the but I have never seen one here, an ideas for suppliers?

there was a company in the US making some for the ABA but they don't do them anymore.

I have got the flanges and can get one made if I can get the drawings of the DCOE flange, but I would like to get my hands on one for reference at least.

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Al, does it have to be for DCOEs or throttles? OBX makes them

[​IMG]

3. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

I'm sure Jason (JMR) has something on the go, give him a call.

I had a Rowlands on but I sold it a few weeks ago as someone needed one urgently to complete and engine. I think they initially had some of those OBX ones but I think the quality was poor and they didn't work very well, I could be wrong though.

The Rowlands one was fine, quality was ok. I'm sure they will ship to the UK, I've spoken to them in the past (by email) and they were ok with shipping as I recall.

4. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

TonyB : What sort of engine does the 2L X Flow make? Modified? I have a base engine I bought to play with. Its not an obvious race engine, from what I have seen so far.
    Jon

5. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

Eddie

I have seen the OBX ITBs and liked the look and deisgn, but was cautious as i have heard mixed things about the quality of the them, similar to what Tony has heard.

Tony

I might drop Rowland an email then thanks.

Jon,

is your engine from the mk4 chassis? from what i have seen, (in my own Car) im not convinced the last of the 8v's is any better than the earlier one, other than the fact its Xflow.

I have an ABA head which is from a US 2.0, and a Mk4 head which i need to do some comparison photos.

6. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Yes, its mk4. Valve size good, port sizes a bit small. especially exhaust ?
    Regards
    Jon

7. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

Tony is spot on with what he said, someone did have some brand new OBX ITBs and they were put to one side as they were leaking air through the spindle....not good on a brand new item! :o

He is also spot on that there is a X-flow manifold on the go......in fact it is mine and like you Alan I also got some flanges knocked up and have a CAD drawing for a DCOE flange if you need one mate :thumbup: [​IMG]

The ABA valve sizes are In - 39.5mm / Ex - 33mm, you can get a 40mm Inlet on existing seats :thumbup: From what I have seen flow wise there's no issue with the ports......however it depends what head you are using! The 'holy grail' is the early ABA head from the US......I'm not going to say any more as this is what I'll be using in the race car I'm currently building ;)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  8. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Nice manifold!
    Jon

9. milesmk2 Forum Member

That is a lovely manifold that. Nearly makes me wanna sell my G60 engine and go for a crossflow with ITBs. Nearly.

10. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

its a shame the OBX are a bit suspect as they are very resonably priced (i guess we know why)

i like that manifold, did you / jason take into account the 28 ish degrees the engine leans at? i cant see from the picture? also what is the spacing between the bodies? i assume that affects the linkage and fuel rail.

oooo interesting, i dont know where my ABA head came from other than it was a US Cabriolet that was on a US base in europe. i would like to get the manifold sorted before i post it and the head off for 'work'

11. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Thanks chaps....

Bin the blower!....atmo all the way!!

Yes the OBX I'm afraid is....rubbish!....unless the one we had was a one off....[:s]....spindle play was horrendous causing major air leaks and inconsistent throttle return...the throttle pot was having a fit!....brand new/un-used, and no seals to even try and seal it, poor design. The under-slung linkage looks really good, but in reality it's far too fiddly and a pain being underneath....Jenvey's are hard to beat, the simple stuff works the best.

The owner is going to re-engineer them with a view to getting them working at some point as they do look good, but not recommended at all unless your prepared to do the same.

Yep, correct angle to be able to use the same manifold for carb applications, tho not needed for injection. Spacing was done the same, so a std throttle linkage would fit and trumpets clear etc. It's a touch longer than ideal but a shorter version threw out the angles too much...it's a nicer manifold the way it is. The trumpets shown are what Tim currently has but I expect them to need to be replaced with shorter items based on previous testing to the tune of around 40mm...I'll test a couple of options on the dyno.

drunkenalan likes this.